No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it Scandinavian ?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Is it Scandinavian ?
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
Another £1 charity shop find. (along with a Servres Candlestick ;D) Is it Scandinavian ? I cant get the colour right in the pics but its Amber/Gold in colour,18.5cm in height and 8cm at the opening. The ones I have seen seem to have a thinner 'chimney' and also same shape as mine but upside down if that makes sense.

Just noticed I should have put this in the ID glass section. Can the moderators move it for me please. Sorry.
Pete. :-)

Offline scavo

• Members
Re: Is it Scandinavian ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
It looks like Riihimaki 1374 by Tamara Aladin. Colour looks right too - a shot against a white background would help there. A photo of the base may help tell if it's from the hand or machine made eras.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
The actual design I believe Scavo means from Tamara Aladin / Riihimäen Lasi is number 1378. It looks like it in my eyes too although the pictures are really poor. If the quality is what it is supposed to be I would go for this ID despite the fact that for some reason only sizes 16, 22 and 28cm are documented but 18cm goes in that series I am sure.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »
I'm comparing to this: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=ask_a_question&products_id=2753

if you google px's suggestion you will see the difficulty your photo presents.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
There is a similar vase by Tamara Aladin in 'Fire and Sea' Leslie Pina pp28 - Although there is no factory number - also the main part is narrower with more of a sweep - to my mind the books vase is more balanced and elegant.

Adam

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
Hi Scavo, the shape identified as 1374 on my website is similar, but slightly different.  See this link for a good example of 1378:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26543.0.html

The wider base section on the 1378 is more promenant than the 1374, and the rim flares out slightly on the 1374.  From this I also believe that the ops vase is 1378.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »
Sorry about the size, it is 28.5cm in height. I have seen the other pics on the threads and mine is the same as the 1378. Im still working on my photography skills, or lack of. I have taken a few more, hope they help.
Pete. :-)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
Close, but no cigar! I'm excited enough to have got the right designer! I'm still very much a novice in the IDing game. No match for Wayne et al. It's very interesting that Tamara Aladin designed very similar designs. But what is the difference between Riihimäen and Riihimaki? I thought it was the same company.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
When it comes to Riihimaki/Riihimaen, px is the expert, and has helped me several times in the past. :thup:

As for the name difference, as I understand it, the factory was originally called Riihimaki (after the town of Riihimaki in Finland) and was later renamed Riihimaen Lasi Oy in the 30's.  Both names are equally valid I think, but I guess Riihimaen would be the most correct?  Maybe Riihimaki is used a lot because that is what ebay calls the category for this glass.  It's also the name I hear most often when picking up this glass at antique fairs etc.

petet63 - much better pics!  I think it is safe to say your vase is the 1378.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »
And what about the base, Wayne? Isn't it correct that some vases were made over a long period of time and early ones are hand made, later ones machine made? Sure I read that somewhere. Also I have 1465 that I think looks machine made by the ridged base but hand finished with polished rim. I also have 1371 and 151? (look's somewhere between 1512 and 1513) that have a flat base and heat treated rim. The first one has a clear plastic sticker with an animal paw print logo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand