Author Topic: Is it Scandinavian ?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Is it Scandinavian ?
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
Another £1 charity shop find. (along with a Servres Candlestick ;D) Is it Scandinavian ? I cant get the colour right in the pics but its Amber/Gold in colour,18.5cm in height and 8cm at the opening. The ones I have seen seem to have a thinner 'chimney' and also same shape as mine but upside down if that makes sense.

Just noticed I should have put this in the ID glass section. Can the moderators move it for me please. Sorry.
Pete. :-)

Offline scavo

• Members
Re: Is it Scandinavian ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
It looks like Riihimaki 1374 by Tamara Aladin. Colour looks right too - a shot against a white background would help there. A photo of the base may help tell if it's from the hand or machine made eras.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
The actual design I believe Scavo means from Tamara Aladin / Riihimäen Lasi is number 1378. It looks like it in my eyes too although the pictures are really poor. If the quality is what it is supposed to be I would go for this ID despite the fact that for some reason only sizes 16, 22 and 28cm are documented but 18cm goes in that series I am sure.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »
I'm comparing to this: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=ask_a_question&products_id=2753

if you google px's suggestion you will see the difficulty your photo presents.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
There is a similar vase by Tamara Aladin in 'Fire and Sea' Leslie Pina pp28 - Although there is no factory number - also the main part is narrower with more of a sweep - to my mind the books vase is more balanced and elegant.

Adam

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
Hi Scavo, the shape identified as 1374 on my website is similar, but slightly different.  See this link for a good example of 1378:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26543.0.html

The wider base section on the 1378 is more promenant than the 1374, and the rim flares out slightly on the 1374.  From this I also believe that the ops vase is 1378.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »
Sorry about the size, it is 28.5cm in height. I have seen the other pics on the threads and mine is the same as the 1378. Im still working on my photography skills, or lack of. I have taken a few more, hope they help.
Pete. :-)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
Close, but no cigar! I'm excited enough to have got the right designer! I'm still very much a novice in the IDing game. No match for Wayne et al. It's very interesting that Tamara Aladin designed very similar designs. But what is the difference between Riihimäen and Riihimaki? I thought it was the same company.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
When it comes to Riihimaki/Riihimaen, px is the expert, and has helped me several times in the past. :thup:

As for the name difference, as I understand it, the factory was originally called Riihimaki (after the town of Riihimaki in Finland) and was later renamed Riihimaen Lasi Oy in the 30's.  Both names are equally valid I think, but I guess Riihimaen would be the most correct?  Maybe Riihimaki is used a lot because that is what ebay calls the category for this glass.  It's also the name I hear most often when picking up this glass at antique fairs etc.

petet63 - much better pics!  I think it is safe to say your vase is the 1378.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »
And what about the base, Wayne? Isn't it correct that some vases were made over a long period of time and early ones are hand made, later ones machine made? Sure I read that somewhere. Also I have 1465 that I think looks machine made by the ridged base but hand finished with polished rim. I also have 1371 and 151? (look's somewhere between 1512 and 1513) that have a flat base and heat treated rim. The first one has a clear plastic sticker with an animal paw print logo.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com