No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with large Dartington piece.  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
help with large Dartington piece.
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
Sorry, I don't have a clue what to call this......do you put a night light in the inner dome - very small cloche for rhubarb - something to grow a sundew plant in - do you put water in the outer part for some reason?????
I've looked through both the small and large books on Dartington and unable to find this one, and I assume it does stand with the inner dome at the bottom.    Height is about 10.1/4", and the inner dome is about 6" tall.            It may be of some relevance that the backstamp is preceded by the copyright symbol.    So all sensible and polite suggestions are very welcome please ;), and thanks for looking :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: help with large Dartington piece.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
Got me Paul,can't think of a rude use let alone a sensible one :thud: ;D ;D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
I think possibly it's one of those oil lamp things (it's up the wrong way in your pic) and it's missing the little metal doo-dad that the wick goes through on the top.

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »
go on, Keith, you're just being bashful ;D

thanks Max - I take your word for it, although have to say that there is noticeable wear on the end where it stands as photographed, and would it be unusual for something to stand on a rim - or maybe not.   Just unfortunate that it doesn't appear in either of the books.     So what sort of date might you put on it?     

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
 :-[  Paul,  I didn't see it was 10" high, so I reckon I'm totally wrong above.  I've got a terrible cold at the moment, so I'll blame it on that.  Really not sure what your item is now....I've got a Nazing decanter with an inverted glass pocket that you put ice in to keep your wine cold, but that wouldn't be applicable here.  At least with the dartington mark, you know that someone will give you an answer at some point!

If all else fails, I could try and ask kim thrower.

(please excuse dodgy typing...got a new netbook, it's like typing on apostage stamp)
I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:17:11 AM »
You could write to Dartington. I believe the lady to ask is called Hilary Green

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »
That Dartington mark as far as I know is later, perhaps 90s and after. Where is the mark? Perhaps it is a vase, that bulbous pushed in bit may help to keep stems orderly, or am I just clutching at straws?

John

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
I think this may be from the Sam Sweet collection for Dartington - which I think was post 2000.

If you google images for <sam sweet vase dartington>  you will find several similar styles - although not this exact one. I have one of hers, They were called Flower vessels - not vases for some reason, and all were a bit odd. Although mine does look great with Gerberas in.
Sorry the pic is a bit fuzzy!

regards

JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
Max............... so sorry to hear that you're feeling grotty, keep warm and hope you feel better very soon :)    Know what you mean about typing on a small keyboard, it's one of the reasons I had to get a mobile phone with large keys - can't get on with these stupidly small dinky things - and if like me you touch type, it makes it worse - I guess that for those people who search for the keys visually, they can at least see which one they're supposed to be hitting.      I envy you the piece of NazEing - is it the Roger Phillippo wine cooling carafe (rather than a real decanter??) - I've never seen one, although I believe there are two versions, one with a sort of imitation cut faceted surface decoration - whilst the other is just plain smooth glass.
Thanks for the offer to contact Kim Thrower - I did visit her several years ago, and she was kind enough to sign my copy of the 'small' book.

Christine and John..........thanks for the information  -  the backstamp is just on the inside of where the piece stands when placed on a surface as in my picture i.e. where the curve starts to make the return into the inner bulbous part.      Did you mean clutching at 'stems', John ;D

JAK - very many thanks - would seem you are spot on :).........glad you said 'hers', as I might have thought Sam was a bloke :-[.    If you google as suggested, and try the link that begins 'www.chinaetc'  there are one or two that come very close to mine.       Some which stand with the 'pocket' at the base, and others in reverse.  I don't know how successful or otherwise these pieces were, but in view of the fact that they are quite recent designs I don't recall seeing them before.   Some appear to be bi-coloured.    thanks again. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Kim Thrower - I did visit her several years ago, and she was kind enough to sign my copy of the 'small' book.

No you didn't 'cos she's a he!  :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand