No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Close concentric millefiori paperweight - Unknown  (Read 3894 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Close concentric millefiori paperweight - Unknown
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »

Hi. I think older pieces - meaning pre 1945 - have got to be worth collecting, especially the rarer facetted pansy and nosegay designs and similar, and the more detailed millefiori ones.  Also Chinese whites, of course. And aquarium weights. At some point Chinese collectors will get into the market for the rarer, early pieces.  I doubt that the ones that have appeared in vast numbers in the last 25 years will attract much interest...but who knows?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:24 AM »
Thanks to you all for you comments.  Appreciated!  I must confess too Rose, I do like it myself and want be getting rid of it in a hurry.  I am assuming from your comments Alan that the mine could be possibly pre - 1945?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »

Hi Otis

I cannot be sure about yours,  but I have a very, very similar pink Chinese flower paperweight which sits on the bathroom window sill, and dates to around 2005.

I have never seen a Chinese crimp rose paperweight that I would date to pre-1945. But they may exist, of course.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 06:23:06 AM »
Au contraire...Chi made footed crimp roses in the 1930s copying the Millville Rose. I have several in my collection.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the update / correction. I have not seen any in the UK - perhaps they were mainly (solely?) imported to the US, given that is where crimp roses are collected?

Alan

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »
Hi all,  You will have to excuse my knowledge on millefiori paperweight, especially when referring to canes.   Would you say the canes in my paperweight is  'Crimp Roses'?  ::)

Oh! by the way Alan.  With ref. to the contents within your most recent message, please disregard the info below if your are already aware.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283933/Family-mansion-destroyed-freak-accident-paperweight-causes-fire.html.

I used to have my paperweights displayed on the windowsill but now they are just kept in a unit and away from direct sunlight.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »

Hi Otis

I'm well aware of the (slight) risk of fire...I included a similar article in the PCC Newsletter a bit ago. And I have personal experience of having burned some marks on tables in the conservatory by leaving weights there for just a few minutes (and also burned the palm of my hand in a few seconds...)!

However, it needs to be a particular shape of paperweight (roughly spherical) for the focal point to fall conveniently on the surface nearby, and it needs to be primarily a clear glass design.  My damage was caused by two Mayauel Ward floral weights.  But you should not leave paperweights in sunlight anyway: the heating can cause them to crack, and there is a risk with some paperweights that the UV will lead to purple discolouration due to excess manganese precipitating out of the clear glass (early Paul Ysart weights and some Silesian weights are prone to this problem, even out of strong sunlight).

Alan

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Otis I think the conclusion about your PW is that it is modern Chinese possibly using Murano canes. It is nothing to do with crimp roses.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
The crimp rose item is the one that Roger showed - not Otis's weight.
KevinH

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
Hi Alan,  I thought it was worth mentioning anyway and the info. you have provided will certainly be more than useful to the new followers of Glassmessages.  It's so easy to be distracted  from the 'safety in mind', whilst placing a paperweight on a window sill.  It is definitely a subject/topic that requires awareness.   Within such beauty can also lie danger.  Even now I don't honestly think much is done to make people aware.   Even carers of the elderly are known to place paperweights on window sills.

Anyway, Many thanks to you all for your contribution to this post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand