No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore pressed carafe  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Edward Moore pressed carafe
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »
I know I'm already maxed out with entries on the 'front page', but this is so intriguing me I just have to go for it.           Assume it's a carafe of sorts (no stopper marks inside the neck), and the Rd. No. 75016 runs down to Edward Moore - first registered on 08/06/1887.    This factory seemed very keen on gadrooning and pillars on their pressed glass.         But what I've never seen previously is that the No. (clear and very sharp) is at the bottom on the inside, and as the saying goes  -  'how do they do it'?       Grateful for any replies, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Edward Moore pressed carafe
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:56:56 AM »
Paul

It was pressed in a mould - coming out in a cylindrical shape that was then reheated and worked by hand to form the top.  Voila, nice clean pressed Rd number on the the inside.

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edward Moore pressed carafe
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
thanks Sid for your informative reply  -  guess that's about the only way it could be done, sort of squashing it back in the neck area after the pressing.    I forgot to add that the top rim/neck does look a bit irregular, and I should have included a picture showing that the very top of the rim has in fact been ground/polished, which seems unusual on a pressed piece.      Can only think that this is an uncommon method of producing a numbered piece of pressed glass since I've not come across this situation before. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand