No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian sweet meat or preserve dish - ID = Percival Vickers  (Read 3586 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Victorian sweet meat or preserve dish - ID = Percival Vickers
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »
wow Neilh WONDERFUL stuff, I went through page after page and didnt spot your site. will be having a good trall through later me thinks when I have more time.
PaulThe book only has a dating system at the back no numbers, so it was just the first place so I could get the initial date really (although I still managed to do it wrong lol).
Will try searching a bit more on the numbers and lattering for the metal work and hopefully will come up with something. I see they did different styles not just the Dog which I have.
agincourt17 thanks for the link will search through and see if I can match anything. Will add some better pictures of the metal numbers/lettering shortly
thanks again to all
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
marks on plate
more pictures in my picasa album direct link to correct album here;
https://picasaweb.google.com/112538457954992188877/AntiqueVictorianGlass?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
agincourt17, Definatly HENRY ATKIN/ATKIN BROTHERS, Sheffield. Just had a look and the marks are identical.
Wow well done you from my poor description you remembered who it was.
I think we are there

"Manchester" pressed suite by Percival, Vickers & Co
Plate and lid Silver plate by Henry Atkins/Atkins Brothers Sheffield
Rd. No. is 319090, 1st to the 6th of March 1878

If anybody would like to use the images for websites and further reseach purposes (only) I am happy for them to do so. If you let me know I can send better quality images as the ones on here are low MP.
GIVE YOURSELVES A ROUND OF APPLAUSE JOB WELL DONE :)
Thanks
michelle

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
Just one general point about identifying metalworkers for the Manchester glass factories. Here is the list that Molineaux Webb were using in 1929. As you can see, Atkins Brothers are on there. I've spoken to the people who ran the Molineaux Webb factory after it was renamed to the Kirby Street Glass Works in subsequent decades. They were still dealing with at least one company on this list, Walker & Hall. So it is a fair assumption that when trying to identify the metal makers for Manchester pieces, there is a good chance of it coming from the list below, as business relationships seemed to be long term between Manchester glassmakers and Midlands metal workers.

A. MARKS & CO
Sheffield silversmiths

ANGORA SILVER PLATE CO LTD
Sheffield silversmiths

ATKINS BROS LTD
Midlands silversmiths

GABRIEL & CO LTD
Birmingham steel company

G.F. WESTWOOD & SON
Birmingham silversmiths

I.S. GREENBERG & CO LTD
Sheffield metalworkers