No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn paperweights - Herbert Dreier?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline SimonD

• Members
Strathearn paperweights - Herbert Dreier?
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
I've had a couple of Strathearn paperweights for many years now. (Apologies for the quality of the photos.) They are both very heavy and tall, and have a series of bubbles that surround the internal design. One is an upright flower which emerges from a blue and latticinio 'pot' which is wonderfully executed. The second is an abstract 'coral'/'seaweed' design. They don't appear to be regular production items, and have often wondered if their age and maker could be ascribed.

In the Annual Bulletin of the Paperweight Collectors Association 2006 there is an excellent article entitled "Strathearns We Rarely See". The paperweight featured in Figure 30 on page 84 shows a weight with the same bubble design, but with a millefiori cane centre.

Figure 30: A superb self expression or experimental piece again made by Herbert Dreier using a three layer fountain design. A very rare paperweight made in 1979.

On the basis of this, would I be right in thinking same maker and year?

Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Strathearn paperweights - Herbert Dreier?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
Unless dated, I would say 1978-1980 for the "experimental" Strathearn weights. And although Herbert Dreier very likely made most of them, a few others may have made their share.

See also Richad More's page on "Experimental Millefiori Strathearns" which shows what appears to be the same weight as Fig 30 in the PCA Bulletin article.

And as an extra point, in the Bulletin article, the weights at Fig 36 and Fig 38 are of a type that I have seen several of and those that I have checked under uv do not match the usual Strathearn fluorescence but do match a range of "Unknown Scottish" weights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SimonD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
Here is another example of the Strathearn "Tropic with bubbles" weight.

This one has an oval facet which has been engraved with '56 Reconnaissance Corps', otherwise it is of a very similar size, weight and construction.

The 56th Reconnaissance Regiment was founded in January 1941. They would have had a 40th Year Anniversary in 1981. It is very possible this weight is to commemorate that event. This would tie in with the dates Kevin provided, allowing for sufficient lead time to make the weights for such a commission.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for buying this, but it was a good price and how could I pass this possibly datable monster by?!

Simon

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
And a very nice example it is. Good colour combination too.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »
Hi Simon
I wrote the article you are referring to and you certainly have two nice weights there, I have one similar with a column of millifore overlaid with bubbles and a picture is attached.
Herbert Dreier is working with John Deacons nowadays and it is nice to see him making weights again although he is in his seventies, also working with John is Dave Moir who was head glassmaker at Strathearn. Dave has rekindled his interest in paperweights and bought himself a torch so he is now making nice weights with flowers and these contain his DM signature cane. They are very reasonably priced but Dave mainly sells them at PCC and NPS collectors meetings.
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand