No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an old Perthshire?  (Read 5585 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Is this an old Perthshire?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
And do you know he is only (Milan) two hours away from Venice - I may mention a trip to Murano as I love glass so much.

As for him, I am being a bit cruel, he is a businessman first where as me (myself) and my father are artists/designers who are in the interior design game to make a living.

He actually really likes my Fathers paintings, which sell really well - he has his work in selected Glasgow galleries and they sell well.

The only thing is that Alberto has two of my Fathers paintings in his office - proudly in the middle wall - one is upside down LOL - My Father has told him but he says he likes it that way. I love Italy and Italians they are such good fun but try and tell them they are wrong - I speak from experience after travelling there many, many times and indeed entertaining them here as well.

One thing I have to admit is (I hate this) Alberto is same age as me 38 and very good looking, in fact most people in the interior design trade in Italy are good looking, woman and men.

Sometimes it does feel very artificial - I wish I could go up North to Perthshire and make glass for the rest of my life – where looks and business cards are not an issue.

That is my little dream.
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 12:06:46 AM »
Adam, both you and your father are very gifted and talented people.

As for following your dream, maybe one day, you'll make a break with convention and do that - I really undrestand where you're coming from. All the facade of glamour, good looks and perfection is so easily stripped away from some of those people who use the facades to compensate for their insecurities. You're not like that - you're real, have real ambitions and don't place too high a value on looks, but on talent.

As for a trip to Murano - it's worth it. My friend brought me a couple of millefiori ashtrays when he popped in this morning from Italy on his way to the Dominican Republic (I think being older makes it easier to tell people what you'd like rather than what they would like for you).

As for Italy, enjoy the food, wine, art and glass, not necessarily in that order - and remember that business is business, nothing more than a means to an end.

What you could do is collect the glass and get inspired by the paperweights for your designs. I'm in the middle of trying to make a website wallpaper of different millefiori and canes. It's hard work but will be worth it in the end.

I'm sure you do the same in your own way, but imagine if you designed special fitting for glass displays...
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 12:07:45 AM »
Hey Adam,
Have you learnt nothing from this forum??
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It definitely comes from within.
And...did you ever see the programme on Italians as lovers? Well, they just don't live up to their reputaion.
Lots of women go for intelligent men, but if you are not confident with you, it will be conveyed.
Well enough spouting from me, or this thread is destined for the cafe.
If you ever go North and make glass, which is as good as your knowledge about it......especially paperweights,.....let me know....I want some.  :)  :)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »
Della, Adam is intelligent and beautiful within - and so just from that should feel secure within himself and believe in his very strong capabilities.  :D
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 12:23:13 AM »
Thanks Simone

Wise words - I do use more abstract paperweights as inspiration for rug and carpet designs, furniture is a more difficult as people want it simple - which is good as we are agents for Gallotti and Radice (Italian glass furniture at it's best since 1950)

Della you are right, although I have never had a male Italian lover LOL

You will have the first piece of glass, if I ever go up North, which is really only an hour or so away from me LOL

I missed that signed Venini weight btw it went for over £100.00 - to think I could have had it for $9.00 - LOL spilt milk, I have too many eyes on others things to weep

Oooh I just got that last post from you Simone – how lovely of you – you and Della are such beautiful people, no wonder this is such a great board it’s not about profit it’s about knowledge and even more the beauty of a thing.

What a lovely thought to go dream upon

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand