No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an old Perthshire?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Is this an old Perthshire?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:24:56 AM »
Early Perthshire? Could be.

The crispness of some of the canes seems right for Perthshire Paperweights rather than Strathearn.

But ...?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »
Simone

Here is an early Perthshire I own with same base colour (note: mine is a laid flat photo in daylight)

Here is another Paperweight Strathearn or early Perthshire - note unlike the first paperweight every cane petal is not 'white tipped' a method used by Perthshire 'to make their canes more flower like' - they slowly seemed to lose that method as time went on (I may be wrong Kev will know better, I am just going on my own collection)

You can maybe use these to compare to your paperweight. Note that although neat, the cane formation in Perthshire paperweight one is not as perfect as later versions (see central garland)

Here is a later paperweight by Perthshire - see how perfect it is

There are other factors but in general Perthshire was set up to make better, neater weights (canes & cane placement) than Strathearn - that took time but mid period when they were bang on, no one can beat that company for total perfection, especially in there Ltd. edition weights.

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »
Thanks for those Adam,

You got the very limited edition golfing one, I'm impressed. :D

I've a few of the limited editions, but have got doubles of some  :roll:   I got carried away and forgot I already had them when I was bidding on more.  :oops:

I'm the proud caretaker of 3 Perthshire butterflies, including a 1/1 that was made as a sample for Selmans.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:59:07 PM »
Hi Simone

Perthshire butterflies are beautiful :)  :P

I also have many doubles, but as each is hand made I comfort myself that everyone is an individual :wink:

I have a lot of the spoke Perthshire’s, but all in different colours - they would make a lovely display if I could find the room (a room LOL)

I also have these crimp edged ones that J Deacons did as well - I think they are breeding under my bed - as far as I know they came in two sizes miniature and medium, they are difficult to sell on but make great presents :P

Paperweights are always accepted with great glee by my friends, except on one occasion – I gave an Ltd edition Selkirk to my Italian colleague/partner (Milan), he shrugged and threw it into his bag – Huh!

LOL

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »
Hi Adam,

I know what you mean about the Perthshires, I haven't got enough room for a lot of the spokes, so am selling those that are hiding away.

I don't know about you, but the miniatures whether they're the crimped Perthshires, little Strathearns, or any other small ones - are great as a stress reliever, I hold them and turn them over and over when I'm thinking through designs or other things.

Of course paperweights are always well accepted as gifts, and there's been too many people just ask me for one they like, and I gave a Caithness Knossos as a Christmas present to a friend who's helped me out a lot and really, really wanted it, so I couldn't say no.

As for your Italian partner!  He's obviously got no taste - and if I were you, I'd have asked for it back and got him a box of chocolates instead.  :wink:  :D

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 11:22:21 PM »
Actually I do that, use the small Caithness/Strathearn especially like stress balls - they are all around my office (especially where I sit) LOL

You are right about my Italian friend, we had rugs made up for him one year with his company logo on - he was over the moon. So you get he likes himself a bit.

Oooh I better watch in case he googles me LOL

Adam P

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 11:25:05 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Actually I do that, use the small Caithness/Strathearn especially like stress balls - they are all around my office (especially where I sit) LOL

You are right about Mr. Schiatti, we had rugs made up for him one year with his company logo on - he was over the moon. So you get he likes himself a bit.

Oooh I better watch in case he googles me LOL

Adam P

I've also got the little weights all over my desk! LOL

It might be a good idea to get some chocolates with his name on - he'd love it and it would be cheaper than a rug!  :lol:

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:29:33 PM »
Ohh you are right

What is that saying 'If he was chocolate he would eat himself'

Every present he gives me has his logo on, scarves, shirts, golf balls (!)

But your suggestion has a great irony; I may do that this April

Thanks Simone

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 11:38:18 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Ohh you are right

What is that saying 'If he was chocolate he would eat himself'

Every present he gives me has his logo on, scarves, shirts, golf balls (!)

But your suggestion has a great irony; I may do that this April

Thanks Simone

LOL Adam - it's a great idea and there's a couple of chocolatiers up north that you should be able to find on the internet.

As for him giving you presents with his logos on - you should gently remind him that you do enough business with him so won't forget him - and don't need to be reminded with all his logos. Just suggest that nice glass or paperweights are a much better way of showing his appreciation.

You never know!

Right now he's buying you what he likes for himself and your gift of a paperweight was what you'd really like - so it's time to buy each other what you'd both like!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand