No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gunnel Nyman request  (Read 4881 times)

Offline gfirob

• Members
Re: Gunnel Nyman request
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
I envy you your Finnish location, John (and, i assume, your ability to read Finnish).  The Nyman pieces I have all come from Europe.  I have a clear Huntu piece and massive violet GN25 and the very sweet little cream and sugar set that is more common.  I also have the Humppila copy of her Serpentine piece.   As you know, her work is unusual to find and pretty expensive.  Given that the US was a big market for Finnish glass, I would think that more of it would pop up at the dealers here and on ebay, but Nyman rarely does.  I have sent several emails to the Finnish Glass Museum, but I think there are either language or staffing issues because the response is limited.  The Corning Museum in New York was more helpful, but limited in what they could send me.  I am very interested to hear that the acid signatures indicate pieces made while she was still living.  I also think that it is interesting that there is seems to be relatively little awareness of her and her influence, compared, say, to Sarpaneva or Wirkkala, though their careers were much longer.  It sounds as if you have some lovely pieces.  The egg shell piece is great.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the information.  And if you come across another copy of that book in some Finnish book shop, drop me a note...

Best

Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand