No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Kosta Boda signature please - Bertil Vallien  (Read 9785 times)

bfg

Help with Kosta Boda signature please - Bertil Vallien
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
good morning  everyone

I am currently researching a KB vase I have, signed by Bertil Vallien followed by a long line of numbers.
From perusing the board I have learned that the number sequence ought to start with a 4 = vase and the next two numbers should give a year of production - yes?

No!

So now I am thinking I should invest in above book which I can get from the US via Amazon, my question is - as it is quite an investment for me - is it likely to have the required info in it?

I have trawled google for ages to no avail and wouldnt just ask unless I had first tried but I've got stuck  :cry:

thanks (again) if you can help
Mel

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Kosta Boda book of glass
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »
Hi there Mel

Have you uploaded a photo of the item to the gmb?  Someone here might be able to help...Bill Geary for instance is very good with Kosta, although he's not often around.  But perhaps you like to do your own research?  Hopefully someone will be able to help you either way or with more info on the book.   :)

I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
Mel, pop the details of the number on the board here and someone might be able to help. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

bfg

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
thanks for your replies Max and Anne I'm grateful for any and all help!

The sig reads :
Kosta Boda
B. Vallien
Ateg'e
now, the 4's are open to interpretation, they may be 1's or Y's if that were to make more sense

silver rectangular paper label reads

Kosta Boda
Sweden
Atelier by Bertil Vallien

I understand that atelier means studio in this context

any pointers welcomed, back to google some more

Mel

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Help with Kosta Boda signature please - Bertil Vallien
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
Mel.  I've altered the title of this thread so that you might get more people assisting you.   :) :)
I am not a man

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:49:44 AM »
You need to supply at least two photos.  One of the general view of the item.  Second a clear photo of the base.  I suggest you do not photograph the base square on as the patterns in the glass tend to confuse the eye and make reading the base markings harder.  I have attached two examples from a Gunnel Sahlin vase I own showing the benefit of taking from a shallow angle so the "writing" comes out black against the reflected light off the flat base.  This in effect negates any pattern in the glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
Mel,

The coding system you mention is applied to KB production items beginning in the early 70's. Atelier pieces have a different coding system. What you have  written doesn't make sense so it would good to see the actual writing. My guess would be that what you see as a 3 is the "r" of atelier. The first two numbers in Atelier are the year of manufacture, which in your case would be 05. The next number is the form of glass. 8 is a decanter so I'll stop guessing here and wait to see the numbers.

I'm not sure how consistent KB was was with their Atelier coding system as the pieces in Kosta 250 years have numbers that often vary from what the system says they should be. There isn't anybody who has produced an explanation of KB's coding system the way that Ulrika Ruding did for Orrefors.

You are not alone in your frustration.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

bfg

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
thanks Max for the tweak :-)

Ok,

Ross thanks for the reply and suggestion re pics, these are my best efforts (sorry) hope its clear enough - I did employ the old talcum powder trick lol

David thanks also for the reply hope you can make sense of the serial numbers!

Mel

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
Hi,

Boy, was I wrong with my guesswork. This is part of the "Aphrodite" series produced as part of the "Artist Collection," which was intended  to be glass that was "a little more adventurous" and created by either Bertil Vallien or Ulrica Hydman-Vallien. It was originally given a production number. This looks like either 48533 or 48534, depending on its size. So designed in 1985.

The question is whether the Atelier series was before or after the the production series. My understanding of the coding system (limited) can't make sense of these numbers.  A close up of the label would give us an idea of time of production.

Nice piece.

Good luck.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

bfg

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
wow! thank you David, loads of info there - i'll try googling some more.

did this data come from the kosta boda book ( back to my original question of is it worth a punt) or do you have access to other resources?

thanks again for taking the time to look it up and reply, much appreciated

Mel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand