No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etched 'fo' or 'of' mark on base of modern glass  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Etched 'fo' or 'of' mark on base of modern glass
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
The fish look like standard salmon. I'm not convinced by the of

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
That picture of the of mark is nothing like what it actually looks like.

The f used is the same f used in the orrefors full name and is very distinctive.

I have attached pictures of a fish paperweight that I know is orrefors and its base etched of mark.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »
Hi,
It looks like there is writing on the other side of the Prince of Wales glass?  The fish could be Scandinavian, but I'm also wondering about Scottish designs?  See Stuart Strathearn leaping Salmon at Scotland's Glass...   www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3868&category_id=341&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
Think I've found the glass shape which has the salmon on it.  The shape looks like Orrefors Carina, see http://www.orrefors.com/collections/assortments/complementary/carina-wine-16-cl.html

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »
Hi Marie Anne, and thank you for spending your time on this.  The glass certainly looks like the Carina but the one I have is 181 mm high and 75 mm wide at the bowl rim, so the dimensions are somewhat off.  The stem also narrows to the base more than the one shown.  As far as the salmon is concerned I believe it is a device used by various glass makers, but I have yet to find the exact design as seen on this one.  Oh well, I guess I need to either keep looking or sell it as a "probable Orrefors".  Once again my thanks for your help.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »
Sorry, I should have added that the commemorative glass has CD within the date 29th July 1981 and an outline of St Paul's Cathedral on the reverse of the Prince of Wales feathers.   This makes it more likely to be of British manufacture but certainly doesn't exclude Orrefors.

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
181mm high would make it the Carina water goblet.  It doesn't tell you whether the engraving is by Orrefors, but I'm convinced the Salmon glass is an Orrefors Carina shape.  The 29th July 1981 is a Charles and Diana commemorative.  Hope this helps a bit. 

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 08:17:08 AM »
Hi Marie Anne, that's great news if there is a Carina goblet of that size.  It doesn't necessarily mean that my 'of' means Orrefors but it certainly goes a long way towards it.  I'm aware of the CD/Prince of Wales feathers glass being a Royal Wedding commemorative and suspect that blank Orrefors glasses may have been bought in by a UK based engraver.  I'll see if I can find the other glass in the Orrefors catalogues and report back if I do.  Thanks once again. Neil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand