No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th century, probably Bohemian, overshot glass large footed vase with gilding  (Read 5659 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I was very excited to find this at the weekend  :o
stands 20cm (8") tall by 9cm wide at foot and rim.  The foot is completely hollow right up to where the bowl is joined on top and has a flat polished rim, bevelled edge on both inside and outside.

I'm a huge fan of overshot glass and I have particularly coveted some of these pieces on a certain website for a long time. I would have  loved Paul's Nautilus shells  ( linked below for future reference)   I believe they are from a similar era and also probably Bohemian and  they are remarkably similar in style to my goblet.  However this is a good second best  ;D  It sparkles brilliantly under lighting and is in fantastic condition and with no dirty patches.  

So, this is my new addition to 'my favourite pieces'.  I have found Spanish and French overshot pieces ( and some that are mentioned as 'Victorian English' but I wasn't sure they actually were) but none are the same somehow as this.  Bohemian feels right although I can't be 100% sure.
pauls link here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,44873.msg250092.html#msg250092
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Very nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and I'm not 'into' glasses,is that overshot on crackle? ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Keith it's not a glass I don't think. The rim (the bit painted gold) is slightly narrower than the body of the bowl and at 8" tall by 3 3/4" wide you'd be pretty drunk after one glass lol.  It may be a 'chalice' type thing, but I think it is just a vase.  The overshot is not 'over' crackle but it has 'crackled' slightly so possibly rolled in shards then blown out very slightly afterwards.

Offline keith

• Members
8 inches tall! may be a tad much for a large scotch :o :o ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I need one of these to match this if it is a glass Keith  ;D  ...actually I need one of these even if it isn't a glass  :o
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5463058
m

Offline keith

• Members
Ooh yes,if you ever see two,save me one :thup: ;D ;D

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
I have no idea about these sort of things but i was reading this post yesterday... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25682.0.html

There are one or two items there similar to yours, still no luck with attribution though.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thankyou!! I remembered Max had some glasses but I could not find the thread for love nor money yesterday.
I thought they had been id'd as French? but I've found some Clichy pieces, and I thought the foot looked different so went off that idea...but that's not to say they couldn't be French I guess  :-\
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
the thread on Max's goblets here
for future reference
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6581.msg56078.html#msg56078

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
there is 'La Cristallerie de Clichy' book available online in limited viewing, but having been through I cannot see anything definitive that would link mine.
There are references to overshot glass - 'Cristal Granite' (with an accent on the e) on pages 159,140,154,184,186,187.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand