No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 5 bubble with bits fountain/ harlequin paperweight - is it North European older?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've bought this as it reminded me of my pedestal weight and I like this design - but no pics to post at the mo so just the link (hope it works).  I was hoping it is an older weight i.e not made last week, but wondering where it may have originated please?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180797852529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

thank you for any thoughts  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
What a strange auction!
Screeds of conditions which you must read (get a cup of coffee first), which include this bit:
(copied and pasted)

"12.4. Damaged, faulty or wrongly delivered goods

12.4.1. We will offer you a refund of the full purchase price, including the cost of delivery for sending the goods to you, and the cost incurred by you in returning the Goods to us, if it:
12.4.1.1. Has been damaged on delivery
12.4.1.2. Is in a faulty condition
12.4.1.3. Develops a fault within 3 days of delivery
12.4.1.4. Has been delivered to you in error
12.4.2. provided that you return the Goods to us and we are reasonably satisfied that the Goods have not suffered damage after delivery or have not been misused or used other than in accordance with the instructions or the problem is not due to normal wear and tear."

Then a statement at the bottom which says they will not pay return postage.

Sorry I can't help with the weight, I did originally have a little suspion it might be Perthshire or Peter MacDougall, but the base doesn't look quite right (although the pic is out of focus)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Yes, I think these terms and condition have been discussed somewhere on the board before.  I took a chance  :)  and chose to ignore them because I liked the weight.  I hope it is in one piece when it actually arrives unlike the last one where it was not disclosed it had a huge u shaped crack  ::)
and had been carefully photographed to disguise said fact (money was returned though). Thanks for looking.  I hadn't thought it may be from these isles - I shall go and investigate further for a look round.
m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

I think (which means maybe 80% certain, no more) that it is from the Czech Republic or Austria, and whilst it may not have been made last week, it is not necessarily more than 50 years old. It is very much of that style rather than Scottish.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Alan.   I shall do some investigating although I never seem to find pictures of these fountain weights when searching.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
well, it was excellent service and arrived promptly and well wrapped  :thup:
a couple of pics.  Although all my close ups show the massive amount of striations in the glass , on looking at it somehow you  don't notice these.  Looks like a tiger lily in a wavy edged plant pot. There is a neatly snapped off pontil mark on the base with two lines on one side of the circle - lots of wear on the base. 3 3/4" tall by just over 2 1/2" wide.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Your pics are much better!
It doesn't look Scottish any more. It is rather nice!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand