No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington Indigo and Midnight.  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Dartington Indigo and Midnight.
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
I was unaware that this FT 14 was in fact Indigo - sitting in a dark shed isn't the best place to see subtle colour variations, although I think it's the only piece I have.         An FT 5 in Midnight is shown for colour comparison.     Looking at the Smithson's book, most of the designs recorded in Indigo appear to be pieces designed much later than FT14, but then I don't know for how long FT14 was produced  -  maybe ages for all I know.     I think Indigo is an attractive colour, perhaps better than Midnight.    Would appreciate any useful comments from people, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Dartington Indigo and Midnight.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
I have a Daisy bowl in blue, neither of our items were made in this colour originally but some designs were 'revived' and made in new colours (in the 1980s and 90s). Here are a couple of Marguerite vases, both had acid etched 'D' marks (unlike the earlier production).

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
thanks John  -  you say blue, which I assume means not indigo  -  do you have any Dartington pieces actually in indigo?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
Blue indigo, indigo blue...... :help:

The daisy bowl is a darker blue than the vase but I don't have a photo at present.

Any etched marks on the base of your jug?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
Here it is.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
ah, now that's rather tasty, and more as I imagine indigo to be - but may depend on the thickness of the glass of course, and perhaps like some other aspects of Dartington production there is a little more variation than you'd expect.      Regret my FT 14 completely without any marks.     Although I don't particularly go out of my way to hunt for FT material, would seem indigo quite scarce, but I will look a little harder now - I could get to really like it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand