No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Forgotten Muranese ..?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline petern00

• Members
Forgotten Muranese ..?
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:19:49 AM »
"This is probably the work of .. No, almost certainly(!) that of ......?" said the gentleman seller. 

The name was unfamiliar to me and the protein chemistry associated with memory formation isn't what it used to be(!) Does anyone recognise the work and know the name of the likely maker?

Peter
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Forgotten Muranese ..?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »

Hi Peter

The style and canes suggest to me the 1950s era.  Galliano Ferro made some good weights then, but I am not sure that the canes are theirs. I have seen similar canes on top of a crown weight.

Also, some sellers do have a habit of attaching important Murano glass artists' names to weights without good cause... 'Ahh - clearly Archimede Seguso...Giani Tosso....Lino Tagliapietra...whoever....'

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
The facetting is fairly similar to a weight discussed in an earlier thread - without clear answer, but most people tended towards Murano.

The canes and setup are completely different, though, and the one is question here is flash overlay.

Let me add, that of "my" weight (same canes and setup) also flash overlay versions have shown up on ebay.

Whilst I tend to agree with Murano in general, it obviously would be nice to attribute my weight to a specific maker - which may be impossible, however - so I'll just have to like it as it is :usd:.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks, Alan.  I'm hoping Murano but have not been watching closely enough. (I'll pay more attention in future.)

Thanks too, Wolf.  I'd missed the earlier thread; the cutting is very similar although I'm 'concerned' about the canes.

This one was bought in Venice; presented along with four or five others that I would pick as true Murano - 50-70's vintage.  In its favour, this one had several elements that put it above 'simpler' offerings i.e. overlay, facetting, cutting - and while the (art glass) dealer seemed sincere enough I might have been simply another gullible tourist(!)

Peter
Peter

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:04:35 AM »
I'm leaning toward Chinese. The canes remind me of some of the recent pieces coming out of China. I haven't seen one with the cut facets, however.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
The cane colours are to me definately Murano, approx 1960, take a look at the side view and the colours of my murano on a previous posting (Jan 16th), which nobody could identify either.
   A lot of work went into this one,very nice. Roger.

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »
Thanks Anita .. I'm hoping not to find it's Chinese, but will continue to search both ways.

Thanks too, Roger .. not least for the pointer to your earlier posting.  Encouraging!

Peter
Peter

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
 If I am correct Peter and your weight, my weight and ebay item num 1906 3959 5477 are all the same maker, which the canes are to me, it will be interesting to see the final bid on this one. 
  Notice this one is not identified either, not even as Murano. I would have thought someone would have the knowledge to ID these a bit more accurately even to a decade and country.  "Vintage" to me doesnt mean anything much unless accompanied by "deco", 50s, 80s or something similar.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
The eBay pw has canes that look like AVeM. They are thick cut. The ones on Peter's pw look thin and fused together, almost like a plate. I am missing the similarity of the two. I do see a similarity of the canes on Peter's pw to those that are sold as "Ann Primrose Murano Collection." I believe these may have been made in China.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:46:05 AM »
I am not sure about Peter's weight, but the yellow in some of the canes is one of those shades that I do not enjoy - and usually I see those in genuine Murano items.

I agree with Anita that the eBay weight referenced is not in the same category as Peter's. The eBay one has much crisper canes, many of which have attractive geometric patterning and others have fine multi-cog outer sections or have neat "petal" arrangements. And it has a well made multi coloured ground. I believe it is a good Murano item and would not be surprised to find that Anita is correct with AVeM as the maker.

As for the "Ann Primrose Murano Collection D'arte" items, so far I have not found one of those with canes that tie in with Peter's weight. But I will soon add a comment on another recent thread because I have just now found a cane match for that one - and yes I believe that lots, if not all, of the Ann Primrose items are from China.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand