No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A new weight, but I'm baffled as to maker - any ideas?  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
A new weight, but I'm baffled as to maker - any ideas?
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »
It's on a royal purple base - and I was thinking maybe a good Chinese weight, but I'd really be grateful for any ideas as to the maker.

Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:04:21 PM »
It looks like an early John Deacons weight.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:09:13 PM »
I really have to learn to start trusting my 'gut' instinct.
The first name that came to me, was John Deacons, based on the lampwork that was posted on here not too long ago and the fact that I have really been paying attention. 8)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:01:12 AM »
It might be Willie Manson from his "Scotia" period - but having lost its stickly label from the base.
KevinH

Offline colorfulglass

• Members
scottish
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
Has Manson's base and flowers with ridges from his early work. Would be neat to know how much at the beginning of his career this was made.

Offline torontoglass

• Members
chinese cunumdrum
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »
I just don't like the dealers who keep calling Chinese weights Murano. What does one do with them? I was at the big Toronto Antique Mall the other day (some former dealers at lamented long gone Harbourfront Antique Center) and two dealers insisted that Chinese paperweights were Italian, when to any discerning eyes they were Chinese. It infuriates me. Perhaps one or two Chinese weights belong in any collection (I have none, preferring to spend my short Canadian Dollars on more quality paperweights), but this falsification riles me. Why do dealers do this?

I will add that one dealer did have a contemporary Baccarat that was nice, but he wanted far too much for it - $535. Worth about $300.

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: chinese cunumdrum
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 08:29:26 PM »
Quote from: "torontoglass"
I just don't like the dealers who keep calling Chinese weights Murano.

I have to say, I think this appears to happen more in the US than in the UK.   :roll: It does sometimes seem as if every unidentified weight is labeled 'Murano' on ebay.com!   :shock:  

Do you think it's all due to deliberate falsification, or is a lot of it just ignorance?  Perhaps once the mistake (or falsification) has been made by a few, other people just think 'Murano' when they see this style of weight, and continue to perpetuate the error?     :?
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:02 PM »
It usually means "I don't know, but I have to give it an attribution and Murano makes these glass balls with coloured spots in so..."

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 03:29:12 PM »
Regarding the "Chinese sold as Murano", there is another very good reason for some of the misattributions. Many examples have appeared over the years with a sticky generic "Murano" label.

So, if somebody sees examples of those and they have a very similar, but unlabelled item, it's quite reasonable that, without any evidence to the contrary, they would believe them to be Murano.

I corresponded with an American eBay seller a few years ago who had listed several such weights with a Murano sticker. I sent copies of images from a Chinese trade catalogue which showed the same type of weights and one in fact (with a "double overlay" finish) was absolutely identical, but missing the original Chinese wooden base. It was said that those weights were sourced via a German dealer.

But Frank's point is also valid - it's often a case of giving something a name based on just a broad similarity to something seen elsewhere.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 03:34:46 PM »
There is the eBay effect too. Someone who does all their research on eBay will inevitably get skewed results. Also when they go to a site, such as mine, see the same shape as their piece but do not bother to look for a match on technique! See Holmgaard Monart is it thread elsewhere. :?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand