No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal Woodchester creamer crack w/ handle joins body  (Read 3399 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
Stuart Crystal Woodchester creamer crack w/ handle joins body
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
I bought this Stuart Crystal creamer knowing it has this flaw/damage. I don't collect Stuart but am aware that others do, so even with this flaw/damage, it may still be desirable to others?
I have seen a creamer on ebay for over £50 so presume this is quite a rare item?
The base has the etched 'Stuart England' on the base.

What I would like help with is accurately describing the flaw/damage so as not to mislead.

I believe that the damage could have occurred during production but that the annealing process should have prevented a crack like this. However, I would think that a prestige company like Stuart would have either a/ destroyed a cracked piece or b/ not put their name to a second. I would therefore conclude that the crack occurred after sale. I would then think that it must have been dropped, but there are no other signs of damage, chip or bruises.

Thoughts of collectors (or anyone for that matter) welcomed.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart Crystal Woodchester creamer crack w/ handle joins body
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »
quote......."I would then think that it must have been dropped"......I think you'd now have it in several separate pieces had it been dropped :)      I would suggest more likely 'knocked', perhaps heavily.     My personal opinion, as a collector of Stuart, is that regrettably the piece is worthless.     Had this been some rare item of glass, then maybe it would have some value still, but with this damage I would suggest not, and the crack might 'run' at any time, and Woodchester pieces are not rare, at least in my neck of the woods.   

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
Having listed some on ebay a couple of months ago i agree with Paul some sold very cheaply some didnt sell at all . sorry  :cry:

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
No problem. It isn't my thing and it came with a desert bowl that is perfect for a couple of quid. It will be fine in mother's china cabinet. It's good to get a feel for these things so when a biggie comes along I'll know the feel, and look. Is it always marked?

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
No not always , i had two identical decanters one marked the other not . they both sold but were perfect .

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
OK. Thanks. Am I right in thinking that Stuart mould, cut and engrave?

I have to post another thread to see if another piece I have is Stuart.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
Stuart produced masses of cut, engraved and mould blown wares.   Aside from the rather rare hand enamel coloured pieces (fruits, flowers and spiders on cocktail shakers etc.), and obviously all the clear glass material, I get the impression their colour palette was rather limited.   They seemed to have been very keen on green (light and dark) and amber, but there is virtually nothing else showing in the books.       Time you acquired some books ;)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
It is indeed time I acquired some books, Paul. Problem being my tastes are so eclectic.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
I know what you mean   -  there are people here with anything from 100 books and upwards, but I suspect there is maybe a core of 40 - 50 that are almost indispensable, although unfortunately no really substantial publication on Stuart.     If bought slowly over a period of couple of years say, you'd hardly notice the outlay, specially if you have an income from ebay to help. :)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
Paul, I had a library. I sold EVERYTHING, my collections bought in the 1980s, my library, my LPs, even vintage cold-weather clothing when I moved 1/2 way around the world in 2005. I'm starting from scratch again and have along way to catch up! I've taken your advice on the Hajdamach C20 book and would appreciate any other essentials you can recommend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand