No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb's Golden Amber and brown tumblers.  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Webb's Golden Amber and brown tumblers.
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
Yesterday there was mention of a colour called honey amber, produced by the Webb factory, so am attaching couple of pix of Webb's tumblers, as believe the uranium example is likely to be this colour (called 'Sunshine' - golden amber in the factory brochure).      We've discussed Webb's 'Gay Glass' range previously (the other two colours being 'Spring' and 'Evergreen'.           

I've seen an earlier comment that..........."Webb did a uranium glass, called "honey amber", which is a very dirty brown colour", although I wouldn't have described this uranium one as dirty - it's quite an attractive shade of 'barleysugar', and is slightly the taller at 106mm and has the Webb's backstamp (for the period c. 1935 - 49)  -  both have a ground/polished pontil depression     

The darker brown tumbler is without a backstamp, and appears to have Webb's Ribbonette moulded pattern  -  the paler uranium example looks like simply a honeycomb pattern.       Assuming the paler uranium glass is a piece of Gay Glass 'Sunshine' (golden amber) - does anyone know if the darker brown coloured glass has a name?

sorry pix aren't the best (first one is the uranium glass), and thanks for looking.:)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb's Golden Amber and brown tumblers.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
don't think the pix were good enough, so here are some better ones, including the glow :).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »
Your uranium one is Sunshine Amber
Text deleted Snap Sue

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »
my thanks to both of you :)       So, it appears we are definitely speaking of two separate uranium colours in this context then   - the Gay Glass sunshine amber, and this slightly less bright honey amber.       I think it's also been commented on before that Webb produced uranium glass using a variety of recipes, so maybe not surprising it's all a bit confusing.         I notice that on Christine's four sided bowl the 'green' can be seen quite clearly on the rim - not something that is apparent on my u. tumbler.

No takers on a name for the colour of the darker brown tumbler then :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
I deliberately went for Christine's pics because they're a lot less green than mine.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
I should have read Manley first  -  this is possibly not quite as cut and dried as I was thinking :-\
In his book, Manley's rather thick walled vase with prunts to which he gives the name Webb's 'honey' (page 79 - item 181), also carries the authors comments..............."Could 'Sunshine Amber' cover a range of amber shades?"         
He also says, regarding the previous item No. 180, to which he gives the name 'Sunshine Amber'........"The shades of this glassware vary considerably, so much so, that it is possible there were a different number of mixtures".       

Does anyone know what Manley's 'Sunset' colour looks like which, he says, occurs in Webb's fircone pattern?

Does all seem rather complex, and makes you wonder whether in fact the factory themselves differentiated quite so liberally. :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
Sunshine was a 1930s name, though it was probably not a new colour. Honey was probably not an official Webb name but my piece is certainly the same colour as the piece Manley shows (I saw one and didn't buy it because it was damaged. It had gone when I changed my mind) Look at Hajdamach 1800-1914 pp429-432 for some of the Webb colours. It's entirely likely that new colours were introduced beyond these and that these colours may have had different marketing names in the 2Oth century. The only way to find out is from marketing material.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand