No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Collecting as an investment  (Read 8417 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass Collecting as an investment
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
 ;)
Are you sure, Peter? It looks remarkably Spanish to me.... Lafiore?
(ok I'm going.... ;D )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
LOL ;D

Dont go buying any old glass Sue , 17thc for sure , but yes it maybe Spanish or Liege c1660.

cheers ,
              Peter.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
I don't go buying old glass, Peter - I know my limitations!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
for a moment I though you were implying this piece was your tuppence worth Peter. ;)

coming back to the original subject........most people with common sense could make money out of virtually anything if pieces can be purchased at the right price to start with, and therein lies the rub.     
Ordinarily, we can rule out auctions to provide a continual supply of glass at prices good enough to sell on and make a profit, since there are too many of us looking.       Maybe the odd piece, but not a permanent supply.
I've tried boot sales, flea markets and charity shops, and again found the odd piece.........C18 drinking glasses with folded feet, C20 signed Finnish pieces, Whitefriars, and some run of the mill material - some for as little as 50 pence  -  but never remotely enough to make a pension pot.       I must have spent a king's ransom on fuel over the past few years, plus depreciation on the car's value, all of which needs to be costed into the equation.

I think the answer lies in turning professional dealer, and purchasing pieces from people who have decided to sell their collection etc., or who buy good pieces occasionally, and wish to move them on and make a profit.       A dealer will then, in turn, sell this steady flow of good glass on to a list of high end collectors at suitably adjusted values.
I've watched the beeb's antiques programmes (Road Show etc.), and there is no doubt that some experts have a list of customers who are prepared to pay high prices to a dealer they trust, and who saves them the bother of going to auction etc.
Of course, this needs sound knowledge, not only of the subject but also of market trends......what fetched good money ten years ago, is not necessarily doing so now.          But then again, if you're a dealer you part with your glass, and could I do that :-\

Is this my next career move do we think ;)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
More like La Granja than Lafiore , very nice .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand