No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Collecting as an investment  (Read 8401 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass Collecting as an investment
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
I'm very curious about a bit I can see on your site. I have a piece just about exactly the same (colours are slightly different, but that's all).
Yours is signed by Marian Pyrcak, but mine is signed by Adam Jablonski. Mine aslo has 2 Jablonski labels, and a cardboard tag.

It's a very tall "thing", with a cased and coloured open bubble at the bottom, (it sits on the open end) with great tall pulled-up sorts of bits going into the rounded top in another colour. Mine's blue and a sort of orangey pink - which sometimes refracts green.

I imagine it could be used to hold paper down.....

Weird.  :spls: I wonder who did the design!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BohaGlass

• Members
  • Owner - Boha Glass
    • Bristol, UK
    • Boha Glass - Art Glass from Bohemia and Beyond
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
Hi Sue,

I think Marian and Adam worked together. Now Adam has retired and closed his factory and Marian has started up on his own. The original design would be Adam's but his students would work on a similiar design and as they made them, they would sign them.

Hold on to your piece because, as Adam has closed his factory - his pieces have started shooting up in price.

Regards
Barnaby
Barnaby Kirsen
Boha Glass - Glass Ornaments

Offline BohaGlass

• Members
  • Owner - Boha Glass
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
Fuhrman, than you for that. I have been planning another trip to Hungary, it is really stunning, and would like to discover more eastern European glass artists in general. Unfortunately, my day job (looking after vulnerable women in the acute stage of psychosis) takes up both a lot of my time and my mental energy. My wife is Polish and I hope that when we are over there in May we can make time to drive over to the Czech Republic on a glass reccee.That is, as long as we don't have to visit every aunt, uncle, cousin, godchild... ::)
Barnaby Kirsen

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »

I often used to find the odd good bargain in charity shops, but they are more keenly priced these days and the margins are generally too tight now. If I ever saw something seriously under priced, I like to think I would point this out to them though. :-[

Thanks
Barnaby

No need to look embarrassed, I like your way of thinking Barnaby.... :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline BohaGlass

• Members
  • Owner - Boha Glass
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »
I wouldn't be able to sleep of I did that Rosie. Cubs honour.

Reading around the inter-web there is a lot going on in the UK, but I am finding myself drawn to the garish and loud pieces coming out of the US. My stiff upper lip has evaporated and I am reveling in the multi-coloured pieces. I am thinking they will sell quite well over here - take peoples' minds off the abysmal weather and all that. I have put all the best bits I find on my Pinterest board under Boha Glass.
Barnaby Kirsen

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
I have stated looking more seriously at glass these days... I still buy the odd quirky piece,  but am gradually selling some stuff off and today John drove me to Devon to pick up a nice piece that is too delicate to be posted.
Some of the animals will have to go as this piece is tall and I will have to lose a shelf in the cupboard... it is time to start serious collecting now... I think!

BTW, I believe you Barnaby, I was a Brown Owl years ago....dib dib dib!  ;)
Rosie.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Good morning Rosie there is an R in started , if you want to remain my spelling corrector please get it right . I believe you have signed up another GMB member who cant spell . cheers  ;D ;) jp

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
JP, my dear boy, there is a difference between a 'typo' and a spelling mistake, and it takes a little written English knowledge to recognise that difference.

As for 'signing up' other GMB members who can't spell... it would be a full time job if I did that and corrected all the grammar mistakes... so I just pick on you, 'cos you're worth it!  ;)

Just looked at your site Barnaby, WoW!... yes, definately going to go serious on glass collecting now, Scandi, Leerdam, and my new love, Komaromy.
Rosie.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
That told me . :'( :(

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »
To return to the subject I thought I would add my tuppence worth .

17thc and 18thc glass has never let me down in 25 yrs , although it is the higher end  that has shown the best return over that time scale so i would imagine it would be the same for whatever genre of glass you decided to collect with investment in mind , the best will always command the best prices .

below is a recent arrival for the keepers cabinet .

cheers ,
              Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand