No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: murano dino martens glass bird paperweight conformation please ID = Chinese  (Read 10688 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: murano dino martens glass bird paperweight conformation please ID = Chinese
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
If you have any comments on the items in my gallery please feel free to email me or use the contact form.

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »
Hi Lustrousstone!
I beg you pardon!
You are right: on the GMB is not the right place for any comments on the items of your gallery .
Excuse me.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
I would be interested in correcting any errors though, so please get in touch

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:24 AM »
I'm afraid that the assumption is that Chinese can only do bad glass. Some of their glass is excellent and worthy of buying at the correct price. And their vintage/antique things are often priceless.

Some of the other pieces made with this filigrana pattern show the "contemporary Chineseness" better. For example, the penguins. They have very clumsy black feet and awkward bills. However, the little bird in this thread is a nice piece, IMO.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
thanks anita
i thought it was a nice bit of glass. i know chinese glass has a bad reputation but i have seen some very good and some tatt. i reckon its all about names if you cant put a name to something it hits the value hard.
thanks all for looking and all the input. like i have said i will put it on ebay as murano style at a low starting price then if someone buys it its because they like it. but then if they buy it cheap and put it on as a real murano with name ill be very bloomin angry  :grrr:  ;D
there is always someone worse off .

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Good morning stew2u2,  I collect the little Chinese birds,  the ones that have very pretty marbleing in the glass.  I think tyey are so pretty and charming,  but see so many advertised as IOW. Langham, Murano and the like.  I have even seen them listed as Wedgwood and one had Mdina engraved on the base!

If I see them listed like that I always tell the seller,  not because I am pedantic.....after all, I know what they are,  but because the eBay myth continues if no one bothers to correct the attribution.

I get three types of reply,  Rude and curt with an assurance that it has been in their Great grandfathers collection for years and originally had a Wedgwood/Langham/Murano label and please would I not bid if I don't believe they are telling the truth!! 
The other two replies are either, 'thanks for the info,  very interesting'....but they do nothing, and 'Thanks for the info' and they change the description and category. 

I will leave you to guess which replies I get the most of,  and interestingly, the ones properly described are usually the ones that sell!!

But photograph yours well, and if you do see it relisted as Murano,  you can let the seller know, you know,  if you see what I mean.

It is easy to do nothing,  but nothing changes if we all take that attitude...I love these little birds, and have no conflict with them being Chinese, as Anita says,  some of them are very well executed.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
thanks rosie i like your birds.
i have put it on as murano style and that it could be chinese. as i dont have glass running through my veins yet that is why i ask on here i will put a link to this and they can make there own minds up.
thanks again for looking.
stew

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
Sorry, stew. The listing looks a bit dodgy with the insinuation that maybe it is Dino Martens, even if it is just through writing that others have listed it as that. It not only may be Chinese. It is.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline stew2u2

• Members
hi changed description
thanks
stew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia