No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb (?) cameo and intaglio vase  (Read 2355 times)

Offline pfpowls

• Members
Webb (?) cameo and intaglio vase
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
Hello, hope someone out there has some information or suggestions they could give me about this piece of glass.  I think it's Webb because the only other place I've been able to find a similar photograph of the same type of glass is in Christopher Woodall Perry's book about George and Thomas Woodall.  On page 57 in the upper right-hand corner is a vase with a gilded top from the Runyon collection in the Forsythe Gallery at Texas A&M here in the states.  Where the illustrated example has three cameo tulips and intaglio wild roses that wrap around them, mine has a tulip, a poppy, and a lotus; the difference being that mine has five different flowers in intaglio that wrap around and cut through the cameo sections: a wild rose, a clover, lily of the valley, and what I think is forget-me-nots.  I believe mine was originally what they referred to as a type of lamp, but the base is long gone, and only a 'stump' is left on the bottom where the pontil mark would normally be.  Does anyone know anything about cameo on flint glass, with the intaglio?  I wondered when it was made, or was it possibly by Fritsche since he was an expert in intaglio?  The body of the vase itself is glossy, or polished like it was rock crystal, but the cameo itself is matte except around the outer edges, and the intaglio carvings are polished as well.  One odd thing about the vase is the thickness of the glass, which is almost a half-inch.  I believe it was made well before the 'art nouveau' psuedo-cameo done after 1910 by Kny that frequently comes up for auction.  The shading is well done and the skill is obvious- wish the pictures could be much larger so the details showed better, but there it is.  Any ideas or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Hugh

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Webb (?) cameo and intaglio vase
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:51 AM »
Hello Hugh and welcome,beautiful vase,does look like Webbs,it reminds me of the  faux cameo they did,I'm surprised a high quality piece like this isn't marked,there are a number of people on the board who may know who it is so lets see........ ;D

Offline pfpowls

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:42 AM »
I'm very glad I found the site.  It took me a week how to figure out just what to do to reduce the pictures to the size the board allowed- four different tries before I finally got it right.  I just wish transparent glass was easier to take a photo of so it showed up well where the carving is!  I feel certain that is it had had a signature it would have been on the part that's gone from the bottom.  It doesn't quite sit level or completely flat, but then again I rarely take it out of its box in the closet either!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
A picture of the base and dimensions might also help ;D

Offline pfpowls

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 05:01:27 AM »
Hi Keith, sorry for the horrible delay in getting an answer back to you about the signature on the base, of which there isn't one as the base has been smoothed over.  You mentioned the Cameo Fleur, but that was about thirty to thirty-five years after this was done.  It is definitely cameo, and the Cameo Fleur was all molded.    I had asked several art glass dealers about the vase, and one mentioned to me that he felt the vase was almost the same as when it was original, whereas I though there had to be some sort of wider base to it, possibly cracked  or chipped, but for some reason removed and smoothed over.  If you have the Thomas Webb book by Christopher Perry there is a similar example shown in color there.  It has tulips in cameo, with wild roses going over the vase in intaglio.  I found the tulip example listed in the Grover book about English cameo glass from 1980, but didn't find a listing for mine, and it took hours to go through all the listings from the later time frame: after 1890.  It seems that much of the cameo glass from that point onward came by ship to America and stayed here.  Sorry I don't have any good shots of the bottom of the vase, but have lost more than half of my vision back in 2012 not long after I made the original post.  Still working on a  positive identification though, but it may take the rest of my life.  The aforementioned tulip vase example is stamped on the base with the Thomas Webb Gem Cameo trademark, as verified by Christopher Perry himself.  That vase used to be at the Texas A & M museum, but no idea what has happened to it since the year 2012.  If you find out anything about Webb cameo and intaglio please reply to this message, will be glad to hear what you might find out as well!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »
Hello again, I don't have that book, it's been quite a while since we 'spoke' I have a piece of Webb cameo fleur now but will have to take a new picture and get back to you.  ;D

Offline pfpowls

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 05:56:50 PM »
Hello Keith, I completely forgot to answer your question about the height of the vase.  As it stands now, it is right at 7.50 inches tall, or 19.05 cm.  The vase pictured in Christopher Perry's book like mine is 7.75 inches tall, or 19.685 centimeters.  1/4 inch is not much of a difference, but I figure that was what was lost when the base was 'cleaned up' all those years ago.  I have poured over the internet looking for pictures of similar types, but so far after the last 20 plus years have never found one in this same style.  I had hope to take it to the Antiques Roadshow last year, but like your Roadshow, ours was cancelled for the entire year.  Bummer.  I will check back with you from time to time and would love to see your Cameo Fleur vase!  I have had my eye on a purple bowl for some time.  If you can find it at your local library, try to find the Grover's book.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 12:39:13 PM »
Here's mine, has a tiny nibble to a piece of the amethyst trails but was very cheap so worth getting !

Offline pfpowls

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 04:06:38 AM »
A friend that is an antique glass dealer told me years back that purple is the hardest color to produce when it comes to glass.  I have never seen the purple Cameo Fleur myself, only the yellow, and once a green piece.  You were very lucky to find it, even with a tiny mar in the purple.  It's been over 15 years since I even saw a good piece of glass, and my favorite were all made in Great Britain.  Thanks for showing me your vase, that is awesome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand