No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Oscar Zanetti ducks in flight  (Read 2710 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Large Oscar Zanetti ducks in flight
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
The figure of two ducks in flight shown in the link below is available at a local auction Saturday.  One of the ducks came loose from the stand and the tip of the bill is broken off.  Does anyone have an eye artistic enough to see how this could be adapted to be a single duck?  I can probably get it for a couple of hundred dollars. but I just don't think I could stand to look at broken bill all the time.  The auctioneer said this was originally a $4000 piece.  Is he just blowing smoke?  Thanks for any comments.
Ken

http://pachiandherfavoriteart.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large Oscar Zanetti ducks in flight
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
are the ducks stuck into the stand with glass, or are they on kind of metal attachments? if they are on metal attachments then surely just removing the duck and the attachment would be enough but would leave you with a hole in the glass where the attachment was.  Or you have the beak repaired.
I would get the beak repaired if that is possible? 
I think the piece will look unbalanced without both birds on it.
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »
Ken....buy it...a little chip on the beak.....it's nothing.....it is gorgeous and so are all the other pieces in that site....I want them all....Fabulous!!

I agree with m, separating them would unbalance the statue.....certainly see if it could be mended.

You could contact here:

http://aliceglassmurano.com/2011/01/gabbiani-in-calcedonio-di-zanetti-oscar/gabbiani/

and ask what this piece costs?? 

That might reassure you.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
The duck is attached to the stand with a bolt and washer.  About 1/4 of the beak is gone, so a repairwould be dicey at best.  I'll see if I can get it for a good price.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Ken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
If you are meant to have it Ken,  then it will be at a price you are prepared to pay.....fingers crossed for you.  :X:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:49 AM »
Zanetti has the sculpture at http://www.zanettimurano.com/uccelli/source/zv1188.php. It is a nice one and it being made by Oscar is even nice. It does sound pretty broken, unfortunately. I wouldn't separate the sculpture, but would have it repaired. The damage you describe sounds like it may not be too expensive to have a repair done.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
Hi

It is absolutely impossible to repair a piece such as this when broken, you just can't do it unfortunately.  You can indeed keep one of the piece as a separate sculpture but it just won't be the same.  This sculpture is an expensive piece to replace as it is made using the Masello Technique in Northern Blue or Norte Boreale Crystal which is an incredibly difficult combination of glass to blow.  If you need or wany any further information, please contact us via our website and we are more than happy to help

Regards

Dean C

Authorised Zanetti Murano Dealers - Australia
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »
It ended up going to a phone bidder for $650.  I went to $600. but was concerned with the expense and difficulty in getting a reasonable repair done.  Sounds like I was lucky I passed.  Thank you all for the replies.
Ken

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »
I'm glad you're not left with the decision, Ken. I wouldn't have bought it myself, but wouldn't have recommended to anyone not to buy something they like. I am surprised it went for such a high price.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
wow - someone wanted it badly.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk