No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Glass Dog?  (Read 5802 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Murano Glass Dog?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
Well i do take ebay attributions with a pinch of salt but thought it worth mentioning .
I have just looked on ebay completed listings , very interesting one guy has sold about 20 of them he says two of them have the Toffolo labels but doesnt show them nos 3208434223192 and 320844707252 there is one from another seller and other items as well listed Toffolo , i just put Tofollo into venetian murano glass . voila Have a look please and comments  . ps  He mentions G Toffolo and uranium or similar

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
There's a little about three of the Toffolos at http://www.toffolo.com/en/curriculum_vitae/. Giacoma worked at Venini, so he did furnace work most likely. The son Florina turned to flame work, which Cesare also does. I wonder if Giacoma may have started his own company. I can't imagine someone working for Venini, then making the dogs, though. But who knows.

Franco Toffolo's middle initial is G. This sounds like a mystery that needs to be solved. Perhaps a Toffolo did do one of these dogs and we are seeing a lumping effect that comes from a single attribution.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
I know Franco has about 60 years of experience as a glassmaker - and he is finally, fully retired now. I don't know his actual age. Possibly a lot older than he looks. (He only looks about 60.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
Anita i am glad you have shown interest maybe we can solve it , i will contact the seller tomorrow to see if he has more info on the labels , you know as well as i do when times are getting tough if an item sells well it can be a Maestros bread and butter  and feed his family till times pick up .  :thup:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »
Some of the dogs look so awful that I have a hard time believing they are anything but pieces made for export. But then someone had to make those pieces, too. The shaggy dogs with the egg yolk eyes are so ugly. Many of the shaggy dogs are masterful and pretty, but some are just dreadful.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand