No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Glass Dog?  (Read 5806 times)

Offline kennyg

• Members
Murano Glass Dog?
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
She's 7" tall and 6" long....anyone recognize the maker?

Thank you!

Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano Glass Dog?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
I suspect it's unknown. But that looks like uranium glass to me.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
The dog is a familiar style - I've seen these in neodynum glass too, but I don't think a maker has been pinned down.
There's an image of a blue one on p.57 of Nigel's "Glass of the 50s& '60s; A Collector's Guide", from the Miller's series of Collector's Guides. Only id'd as Murano.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
I knew i'd seen something similar somewhere Sue!   :thup:
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »
It's rather distinctive, isn't it, Max? Not something you could miss if you tried!
The fringe bits remind me a little of somebody's massive neodynum horse head which was posted here a while ago. (sorry, can't remember much about it - not my area and I didn't like it, so I didn't persevere with reading the thread).

There's on a little bit like it on the Miller's site. (I think this one is a devil-dog. It looks quite evil.)

http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/33667/1950s-60s-murano-glass-scottie-dog-with-black-glass/
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
I saw a white one of these from an Italian seller about 6 months ago. He had it down as Martinuzzi from the 1940's. Might be a start even if not correct.

I was actually going to buy the dog but unfortunately it went out of my price range at the time.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
I don't think anyone knows who did most of these dogs. I have a feeling that many companies did their own versions. Archimede Seguso may have done the original dogs, but they were distinctive with their long noses and hanging heads. Trying to find attributions on them is very difficult if not impossible, so most just call them Murano glass. ICET does some of them, but they are easy to pick out. Yours looks like Murano glass to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
There have been a few listed on ebay the last couple of weeks , at least one listed as Toffolo i believe it said signed ? i  must have a look at completed listings .  :-\

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
I saw those on eBay, but I don't remember if any were signed. The Toffolos of Murano do/did lamp work. Cesare, who still makes glass, does elegant forms unlike these dogs. These dogs look like furnace creations to me, so I wouldn't have even considered the Toffolos. There may be a Toffolo I haven't read about, however. Maybe the one that set up shop in the UK? I don't know a lot about him beyond the human figures they made.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »
I only know of Franco Toffolo - (who has been in the uk - at Caithness here in Scotland and latterly, in retirement, with Willie Manson and "a Scottish Glassmaker", also in Scotland) but he is now fully retired and living in England. I know his work can be very exhuberant, and that he has tremendous skill, but I never considered him for these dogs. Never say never, though!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand