No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orange glass lampshade - Maker? 1960's? or 1970's ?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Orange glass lampshade - Maker? 1960's? or 1970's ?
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »
Hi

I bought this glass pendant lampshade ages ago, but have never found out anything about it.

Can anyone suggest a maker and age please? or were these churned out by the thousands back in the 60's or 70's?

It is vivid orange cased with white on the inside.
It is packed away in the shed at present so I cannot measure it accurately, but from memory it is approx 20 - 25 cm or  8 - 10inches -  tall, and  approx 17 cm  or 6- 7 inches at widest point

Thanks

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Orange glass lampshade - Maker? 1960's? or 1970's ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »
Looks very Scandi or German - but the hand-written 7 on the fitting isn't a continental one (with the bar across it).
Lovely, whatever it is!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
Not sure if this is of any use or not, just thought I would mention it in case. Looking on the web there's a company called 'Strebor Designs' which seem to produce lamps and electronic parts, based in India.

It could just be the case that the internal workings were produced by this company, if they are at all related.

How long have you owned the lamp..?

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
????????????

No clue, but have been gaggling the Internet here.  *Might it be PEILL & PUTZLER ?? (Germany)   Just throwing that out there to you, as a possible suggestion.

Anyway...Here are some Peill & Putzler Lamps listed here (and some others unknown).  Just some Eye Candy Glass lamps shades from the 1970's HERE.  Maybe take a look at this one HERE.  Might help to direct you in a direction TO see IF it is?   So just throwing this out to you, as then it again it could be anyone to.  See HERE.

Just trying to work4U .....and help/make suggestions   :ghug:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
Many many companies have made these and similar glass lamps and shades since the 60s onwards.
See discussions on "cased glass" makers in Italy, Sweden, Denmark ? Germany and elsewhere.
It's unlikely that the same company actually manufactured the glass as the metal / electrical parts.
Good luck with identifying the maker(s) !!
Pete

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »
Wow! what a response - thanks everyone for your interest.

It is lovely - and I had every intention of using when I bought it but then realised that as most of my rooms have downlights, the only rooms still with centre fittings are the laundry, the toilets, and the walk in robe. It seemed such a waste to put it up in those places so I never did. (mind you probably less of a waste than being in a box in the shed!)  Perhaps in my wardrobe.....

I remember I googled the Strebor name when I first bought it (about 3 years ago) and found several other lamps/lights with the same label. I think they are either the importers into Australia, or the electrical fitments people. I only just noticed the 11/76 written on the label - which I now think probably stands for November 1976 . Probably when the electrical components went in. All electrical work here in Australia (even changing a plug) is supposed to be done by a qualified electrician, and is usually documented. ( In fact appliances here come with the plugs on and all made in one piece so the only way to change a plug is to cut it off.)

Rose the links are fabulous - I love the lamps. Back in the mid 70's when they were the height of fashion I was just setting up home here and being very poor was buying everything from second hand stalls - Could not have afforded them in a fit :mrgreen:

Paradise trader - I think you have said what I expected to hear - that so many were made by so many companies that it is almost impossible to tell who the maker was.

Greg - not sure about India - I think this probably predates the technical / industrial revolution in India - I spent some time there in the 70's (and yes, I do remember most of it! ;D) and back then even in Delhi there was very little sign of this type of stuff being made for either for home use or export.  I was there again a few years ago and high tech stuff  is very prevalent now of course.

So no answers - but some ideas! Thanks again

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
I got myself some "Scandi-looking" lampshades for my kitchen a good while ago. (I did post them here at the time) The maker has not been tracked down.
I bought them as shades on their own, found a fitting in B&Q that looked as if it was about right, disposed of the nasty metal shades that came with it, and M. got them up in the ceiling.

Folk want and use these because of their decorative and functional value. It would be wonderful to attach a maker to each of them, and to be able to credit the artists and designers, but we may well have to carry on enjoying them without this information.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
They look lovely Sue

Very cheery to look at in a grey winter I should think!

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
They hang down over the table and I've got halogen bulbs in them.
It means when we are eating, we can light up the table only and not see the mess around the whole room!
And now the kitchen is painted in our colours, they look even better.
I love my kitchen. :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand