No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info requested re: Iridised Amber Glass Bowl with Small Silvery Inclusions  (Read 490 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A bowl of iridised amber glass with silvery inclusions; 6½ inches (16.3cm) top diameter, 4.1 inches (10.5cm) high. Presumably mould blown, the body has forty two rounded ribs (more prominent on the interior); the rim is ground off and polished, and decorated with a clear glass trail of rigaree. The bowl is supported on three clear iridescent glass rustic ribbed pattern feet with ground off tips. The pale amber glass body has an iridescent surface sheen to the exterior and interior, and there are numerous small, silvery inclusions within the glass body.  No visible pontil mark.

A very similar bowl is shown in: ‘Victorian Decorative Glass…’ by Mervyn Gulliver (Schiffer, Atglen PA, 2002), page 223. He says that the bowl is probably of English manufacture, and dating from about 1895. He also says that the inclusions are fragments of silver foil.

Under a lens, the inclusions in this bowl look more like crushed crystal than particles of foil. Is this likely? or are the inclusions indeed silver, or even something else? Most of the glassware with silver inclusions that I have seem to be Italian / Venetian, and those inclusions usually look larger and less regularly scattered.  

Do you agree with Gulliver’s attribution as to probable English manufacture, and if so, who might the manufacturer be?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Info requested re: Iridised Amber Glass Bowl with Small Silvery Inclusions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if was English. The inclusions are probably mica flakes. Larger pictures would be helpful rather than combined ones. You can reply to yourself to add more than four. Close ups of the feet and the flakes would be good.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
More photos of feet and flakes, as requested.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »
Definitely mica. i would still go with English, but who knows

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia