No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ysart or very late strathearn dump  (Read 2077 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
ysart or very late strathearn dump
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:02 PM »
spotted this one on ebay,  it measures just under 4.5" high with a sort of flat top as seen in some of Salvador Ysart dump weights, the base has been fire polished, the cane has a complex daisy cane in the centre

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: ysart or very late strathearn dump
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »
Hi Ray.

If it had appeared in a mixed box of weights, I would have said it was Murano. But I am not sure I am correct.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
Hmmm. I can see why Ray is thinking maybe Strathearn.

Might be right but I have never seen another like it. Murano? I can't say it isn't, but top me the complex cane looks more like 1970s Scottish than Murano.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »

The canes reminded me somewhat of the paperweight shown below, which after wide consultation (including on GMB, I think), was considered to be Murano rather than Scottish - but that attribution may be incorrect.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
Ah! The "purple" elements seem to tie together quite well. Pity there's no clear match with a particular cane form.

I have now also seen something I overlooked - the cane in Ray's weight is made with 10 alternating outer elements (i.e. 5 and 5); but Scottish ones of that type are usually 8 alternating (4 and 4).

I change my view to ... don't know.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
thats why i was thinking it could be a late strathearn Kev as the later years they did 5 and 5
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
took this weight to show Dave Moir, he says it's a Herbert Dreier  piece, and told me how they made it, the twist piece thats left on the punty iron after the cane pull is used to pick up the single cane on the floor and then coated with glass and made in to shape, then the weight is cracked off and then base is fire polished, made late 79-80
cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand