No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Fir Cone bowl and plinth.  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Jobling Fir Cone bowl and plinth.
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »
Two questions please  ........am I correct in thinking this is the matching plinth?.........and am I missing a frog/dome/whatever.    Diameter is c.9.5"/240mm, and it does glow.      thanks for looking. :)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Jobling Fir Cone bowl and plinth.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
Hi Paul,

yes, that's the correct 2535L plinth. I wouldn't say it was necessarily missing anything. Bowls & plinths could be bought separately to be paired up as desired. Often the complete centrepieces came with a plinth in the same colour as the bowl. Coloured plinths could also be purchased separetely but were a little more expensive than black.

If you are looking for a frog or figure to put in, the ususal combination with this size bowl would be a 2541 statue & block. Also a plain semi-dome style frog would look alright: this set I used to own came with plinth, plain frog & bowl, all in matching uranium green. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4035996830/in/set-72157622557471351

The Jobling semi-dome shape frogs are hard to identify though as they look virtually identical to other factories' output...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
hello Steven, and thanks for your interesting reply, and I will now have a good idea of what to look out for as a 'third' part to my bowl and plinth.    I found this yesterday at my usual winter boot sale, and tend (perhaps wrongly) to believe that these sets should always be in three parts  -  at least you'd certainly need a dome/frog if you wanted to us it for flowers.
Possibly for reasons of scarcity, I see very little Jobling art glass on my usual travels - and some of the pieces showing in your flickr album are to die for, particularly the opalescent :mrgreen:    I have only ever seen one non-black plinth (Bagley in fact - green) - although I have shed loads of the black ones - they seem to jump out at me on Sunday mornings wherever I go - I must have thirty odd - but always pick them up since they might one day be useful.

Hopefully, I will have a copy of the Tyne & Wear CC Museums publication soon, which will help.              Thanks again  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
You have spare plinths????  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I use them for my own bits of glass. I love having it elevated!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Sue - I'd put you on one of my pedestals any day ;)    A little busy posting tonight, will send you a note tomorrow.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
Looking forward to it, Paul.  :kissy:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum