No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars small size weights - help please.  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Whitefriars small size weights - help please.
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
Hi,
      although I  have been collecting Whitefriars paperweights for a couple of years now, I am not sure what to label my latest purchase as.

The standard P2, 5+1 facet Whitefriars weight is circa 73mm in diameter. I already have a couple of what I presumed were P14 miniatures dated 1974 (5+1 facet) and 53mm diameter. I now have yet another size. This is again a 5+1 facet dated 1972 but 62mm in diameter. This does not appear as a separate P number in the final paperweight catalogue published in Brian Slingsby's guide.

Is this an earlier version of the miniature , later to be further reduced in size?

Alternatively, is this a P number which was dropped by the time the later catalogues were published?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tony G

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Whitefriars small size weights - help please.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »

I cannot help with your direct query I'm afraid, but it is useful to bear in mind that the guide by Brian Slingsby and Judy Taylor is not (and does not claim to be) a comprehensive list of Whitefriars designs. It is very useful, but is a 'work in progress', and the absence of a design or catalogue number does not tell you very much.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
Hi,
       for interest here is a picture of this small Whitefriars weight.

Tony

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Tony - is this the 62mm weight?   It is a very unusual design - i have not seen it before in any size
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
Hi,

yes this the mystery 62mm weight. I have inspected it closely and my view is that it ISN'T a larger weight that has been heavily re-ground. The button is smaller than those of the standard 5+1 facet P2 cut weights.

The official miniatures were not listed before 1974 and are smaller at 53mm.

I agree that the structure of the weight is unusual. It is not a standard concentric, but has what could be called radial arms of small canes with large 18 cog canes in YELLOW with a white core that has an hexagonal dark centre.

The weight has green star canes in a ring on the outside, mauve stars followed by small green stars. Inside this is a ring of dark blue stars, a ring of small red tubes and a central brown star.

The large yellow cog canes are the most interesting as I too have not seen them before.

Any help from those with extensive cane libraries would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input,

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand