No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Orb, Flower Prunt, Etched boat, Marked 02. ID = Caithness Fishing Float  (Read 2568 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Hi All, I bought this paperweight today and was wondering when and where it was made and if any of you out there have seen one before. It seems to be hollow and has been sealed with a glass prunt that looks like a flower maybe?
The base area has a cased, mottled blue colour glass, i think to represent the sea, and a boat has been etched onto the side. To me, it looks like a 02 has been marked on the base ( which is slightly concave )
All help gratefully received, thanks in advance,

David

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Glass Orb, Flower Prunt, Etched boat, Marked 02
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
It's a fish float but why anyone would decorate one is beyond me.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
I think it is lovely.. very sentimental.  Perhaps it was made and decorated as a commemorative piece for someone's memories, or even as a piece especially as a present for someone?  I haven't seen a coloured float before so I'm wondering if a glassmaker made it to look like a float if you see what I mean?
m

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
was made by caithness, theres others around with different decorations
cheers Ray

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Thanks for the info, you learn something new every day, I would never have guessed. Thanks for the Caithness link Ray, not sure I'd be happy chucking it in a river, too nice for that.

Cheers, David

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Caithness called them "Sea Shanties" - to my knowledge first issued in 1986 with several themes: 6 shown on the leaflet of 1986. Several other themes have shown up on ebay, however, likely added over the years. I do not know for how long they were produced.

Your item is not shown on the leaflet - so I would appreciate if you'd let us use your images on ScotlandsGlass.  You will be listed as copyright owner, of course.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Hi Wuff,
Thanks for your info on the float, my 6 year old has added it to his paperweight collection so its not going on EBay just yet. Do you think the 02 on the base means they have been making them as recently as 2002 ( which i realise is 10 years ago, time flies!! ) Please feel free to use the images on ScotlandsGlass.
Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Cheers, David

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Thank you for your permission, David - this is appreciated!

Now for the "02": whilst I cannot be sure, I don't believe that Sea Shanties were produced that long - it would also be unusual for Caithness to sign with an abbreviated (or full) date. Much more likely it doesn't read "02" but are initials of the engraver ... could it be "CR" for Carol Robbie?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Spot on, looking at it with the right information, prety sure your spot on with Carol Robbie " CR "
Thanks again, David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand