No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: peacock eye trailed vases - Stuart or Walsh? late 19th or Edwardian?  (Read 16615 times)

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: peacock eye trailed vases - Stuart or Walsh? late 19th or Edwardian?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
Hi

sorry to be a little useless on this as I wasn't really photographing them.

What I was photographing was the rest of the cabinet contents -which, checking back more carefully now, contained Theresenthal and Steigerwald glasses.  This suggests actually my earlier comment was wrong.  Passau seems to think they are German not Bohemian. (a bit of a weakness for Passau in my belief)

Now I know Steigerwald had their own version of sort of peacock trail, but that is very different and one cabinet further on.  All I can be sure of is where they were, they are definitely not being classified as British!

cheers

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
Thank you Mike - I linked to this one earlier which is apparently Steigerwald or Staigerwald as they have called it.  I don't have one the same as this in my pages. Is this the same as what you saw as Steigerwald version peacock trail please?

http://www.auctions-fischer.de/catalogues/online-catalogues/199.html?L=1&kategorie=67&artikel=16646&cHash=3f91725e2f

From that link I also went onto another link which showed this one (see below) as a Steigerwald vase, reference the Passau Museum.  This one is gorgeous!  looks as though it could be uranium glass - described as opalescent with vertical enlongated peacock eye and trails. It's a curious height 22.7cm which is just about 9". There is something similar to this one in the Harrods  catalogue pages  but it has a slightly flared out base and is on the page described as serial number CH4 confirmed by Nigel as matching the Stuart serial numbers.  The one in the  Harrods cat pages is described as green on flint, English Manufacture 'The original English 'peacock' decoration'.
http://www.auctions-fischer.de/catalogues/online-catalogues/199.html?L=1&kategorie=67&artikel=16645&L=1&cHash=d021832426
Do you recognise either of these please as either being in the cabinet with the Stuart lookalikes or in as Steigerwald peacock version?

On a Japanese blog site there is a flat rimmed mushroom posy vase 6cm h by 15cm wide with 5 dark blue! peacock eye trails described as Steigerwald.  Thanks again for helping with this.  I do appreciate it  :) 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Hi here is:

A shelf of Steigerwald peacock trail pieces  -well sort of peacock trail from Passau -and yes I have permission to display.

I can't really be sure if the other ones are right or wrong -they could be either.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »
Thank you  :)  The ones I linked to don't look anything like those though.  The opalescent one has Passau as it's reference. 
I would say those Steigerwald ones you linked to are more 'dab' and 'trail' rather than peacock eye.  They have no surround to the eye.  However I can see the cut star with long and short cuts on one of those - something I noticed on the amber with green peacock eye bowl on the 'unattributed ' peacock cabinet photo.
well, the thot plickens
thank you again for such great pics and for all your input.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
I'm just adding to this thread for my reference as  I find things so please bear with me  :)
One of the vases I queried above being auctioned on Fischer as Steigerwald is what appears to be an opalescent vase with vertical ish peacock eyes, a flat everted rim and no foot.
This one here
http://www.auctions-fischer.de/catalogues/online-catalogues/199.html?L=1&kategorie=67&artikel=16645&L=1&cHash=d021832426
I referred,in my post above, to one being similar but not quite the same, in the Harrods cat pages.
There is another, in Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass page 37 plate68, that is more similar in shape (looks the same) and has the three eyes at the top and the middle but is not opalescent and has the dark jade green eye with the paler green surround and trail.  This is the group with the comment underneath that states they came from the large collection of glass saved after the closure of the Stuart Factory.  Just to reiterate, it does not state that the vases in that plate were definitively Stuart though.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
Thanks Mike  :)  I think that one is quite probably Stevens and Williams unmarked, as it looks remarkably similar to this one http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8698829  which is marked S&W on the base.  Also the description of that one on Collectors Weekly is possibly incorrect in that the pontil mark should be described as 'polished' I believe, rather than 'ground' which implies part finished and not polished I would think?
Happy to be corrected - just my thoughts though.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
you have  :) but no peacock eyes on the bowl, 'just' a trailed bowl  ;D - pretty though, I love that green.
m

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »
I thought I might add my two into the mix, just for comparison. I have to say Im totally confused, but you can see great differences between these two. I've shown the bases of both also. Its either going to help or cause more confusion  :-\

Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand