No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: peacock eye trailed vases - Stuart or Walsh? late 19th or Edwardian?  (Read 16687 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: peacock eye trailed vases - Stuart or Walsh? late 19th or Edwardian?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
Beautiful pieces :) thanks for adding them to the thread.
I've not time to look at past references at the moment but will do later to see if they can be id'd possibly.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
Thought I'd add these pictures from The Red House Cone,with their permission,some of which are in 20th Century B.Glass,page 37  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
 :-* thank you.  I didn't think to take pictures when I was there - they are absolutely beautiful aren't they - especially I recall one that was huge and a gorgeous shape with the two colour eyes...amazing.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
- The vase in the centre top pic is very similar to pattern no 18001 but 18001 shows as having no bottom row of dabs,however it looks to be from this series.  As an aside these are known as 'The New Emeraldene Decoration' in the Harrods catalogue page 1909.

- The amethyst eye with clear trails vase behind it in top right in the top picture is I think pattern no 17541 - although again as an aside, the Harrods catalogue 1907 shows this apparently in green with flint and calls it 'The 'New Green Jewel' Decoration' .

- The straight vase front left of the top pic with outturned rim is in CH 20th c British Glass page 27 and it was that which the one in this link http://www.auctions-fischer.de/catalogues/online-catalogues/199.html?L=1&kategorie=67&artikel=16645&L=1&cHash=d021832426 reminded me of
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »
I'd be quite happy with any of them ;D ;D

bfg

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
I'm really confused now. What is the current standing on clear peacock trails?

m, do mind if I add a pic to this thread or would you rather I started another? don't want to hijack you just seems sensible to keep all these thoughts in one place

Mel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
Stuart made some of their vases with clear trails and peacock eyes at aleast according to my harrods catalogues I believe.
m
ps If you do start a new topic, please could you head it ' Peacock Eye trailed vases'
that way when others are searching in the future the threads will all come up together.
many thanks

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »
Mike very kindly added a photograph from the Passau museum here on this thread but had no id for it at the time (though it seemed to be in the German section but thought not Steigerwald - see first link below- and also posted a picture of the Steigerwald shelf as well - see second link below)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46323.msg275764.html#msg275764

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46323.msg275794.html#msg275794

However I have found a photograph on CW that has the first linked picture side on so you can see the pieces more clearly.  On CW it says this is Steigerwald. [ * ]
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/78171-german-jugendstil-schliersee-steigerwa

If you click on the first picture on the left of the CW link it enlarges to show more detail.
They are very interesting to see the comparisons.
m

[ * ] Mod: See below for correction

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
Some corrections:

1)
On reply #47 I said
'However I have found a photograph on CW that has the first linked picture side on so you can see the pieces more clearly.  On CW it says this is Steigerwald.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/78171-german-jugendstil-schliersee-steigerwa
'

Correction:
 The picture shown on left is said to be Schliersee on Collectors W.  not Steigerwald.  My apologies for the misprint.

2)
On reply #2 on this thread I asked:
Question -
In Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass page 37, there is a group of trailed glass vases.
In the caption it states
'Group of vases with applied peacock trails, c 1900-1910, from the large collection of glass saved after the closure of Stuart Crystal.  Stuart and Sons were a major producer of this style and the Stuart collection contains many examples but collectors should be aware that the  other Stourbridge glass factories including Thomas Webb and Stevens and Williams, also produced their own variations which are difficult to distinguish from the Stuart ranges.'...

Would I be right in reading  that the group pictured on that page is not definitively id'd as all Stuart pieces, but just that the group of pieces came from the Stuart collection?
I would have thought that if they were definitely id'd as Stuart the caption would have stated 'Stuart vases...' or ' vases made by Stuart' in some way.

Correction:
On re-reading the text now I feel a little more confident on what I'm reading.  All these vases in CH British Glass page 37 plate 68 are Stuart.  Charles Hajdamach says in his written text 'Stuart and Sons were ... but nevertheless highly prolific due to the guidance of Robert Stuart with assistance from his two leading glassmakers, Will Husselbee and Alan Stanier (plate 68).
m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
I saw this post yesterday so popped into the Stuart museum/cone, and did the same as Kieth, i'm wondering if you got a photo of the 3 vases at the back of the  reception desk?, i took some pictures on my phone but for the life of me i can't post them i have resized them but they will not upload, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand