No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New Mdina Pictures  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
New Mdina Pictures
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »
Finally got round to creating a new web album of Mdina glass, please enjoy new pics.

Hopefully, update with other areas in near future.

Any inaccuracies spotted please let me know.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114212950044348042742/MdinaGlass?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiUq5uRppO8eA

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: New Mdina Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
No inaccuracies, Greg, but you're a bad boy - you're the only other person I know of who has 2 massive Rosenthal decanters and a small one (I do too) BUT you've got a stopper on your small one!
I don't. S'not fair. You're outdoing me.
I've had to put up with John outdoing me a lot recently, now you.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

(But I've got 2 two-tone massive strapped bottles, na-na-ne-na-na  >:D )

S'not new Mdina either.  :P (as per your title) It's all pretty old stuff!

Thanks so much for showing it! :ghug:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
  :hi: Sue, The small Rosenthal Decanter is sadly the damaged one I posted on here a while back, a rather large chunk has been glued back around the neck/top rim. The stopper fits pretty badly on the small one too, worse than usual, probably, what helped cause the damage to it in the first place.

The two-tone strapped bottles sound interesting, I haven't encountered any of those to date. :cry:

Spent most of the day taking photos, no wonder I've started running out of shelf space! Hope to take a few other pictures soon for different albums, although I think I'm beginning to get RSI from using the camera!

:)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
You have a two-tone strapped attenuated bottle!
https://picasaweb.google.com/114212950044348042742/MdinaGlass?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiUq5uRppO8eA#5714203846146834434

(Sorry, calling them "two-tones" is my word for them. I have a thing about the Two Tone record label, and it seemed appropriate to me - fabulous glass "named" after fabulous music).

I know these are post-Harris, and only progressions of his designs, but they're fantastic, majestic pieces of glass.

Sorry to hear about the damage - but it still displays really well.  :thup:
When it comes to early Mdina, sometimes you just have to tolerate a bit of damage. You're unlikely to find another "perfect" one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
ah, the strapped attenuated bottle! - They are indeed super things, there was one very similar to mine at Cambridge, which Danny Walker had for sale, although his one was signed by Michael Harris.

Its true about tolerating the damage on some Mdina, some bits just don't come around that often if at all.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »
Danny? Did he?
Signed by MH?????????

Cats among birdies time again!

I have kept my eyes peeled for these for a long time, they don't turn up too often. They are mostly signed and dated. They also tend to have a whole load of damage to the strapping.
I have ONLY ever seen ones with Said's or Dobson's signatures, and I have NEVER seen one dated before '74...

I have always assumed these are not an MH design, but probably Dobson.  :spls:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
The bottle and the signature looked 100% right, (very fine neat and tight script) just that the price was beyond my budget! Perhaps they started being produced just before Harris departed..?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
When it comes to Mdina, both of us have a way to go to even begin to 'out do' you Sue, don't forget it took days and days and then some more days to photograph all of yours....

Some really fabulous bits there Greg, but you already know I am fluorescent green.

A damaged bit is so much better than no bit!

I now have three Tricorn bottles :-[ one has a big lump out of the button rim as well as a couple of huge lumps of frit one of which has associated annealing cracks but it is still my favourite.

Some of the big strapped bottles were made in 72 (perhaps a bit earlier), they are shown in that catalogue photo for the American market - was it the Dexam catalogue or some such name?

John

What was the asking price Greg?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks John.

I suppose damaged Glass is better than no glass!

I nearly missed the Harris signed trailed attenuated bottle, it was up high on a shelf on Danny Walkers stand. He had £800 on it.

:)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
I think I might have to re-attribute these, because of this info, Greg.

Because of never having seen one pre-'74, I had had to assume Dobson.

I'm also very fond of this design in the "Helter-skelter" shape, with a very big caveat - they HAVE to be the ones with tons of "stuff" going on in them and loads of iridesence on the outside.

There are a few things loosely based on this design, such as top hat shaped objects, but they do NOT have the busyness or anything interesting happening at all. Quite dull and boring. I have assumed these are post-Dobson.

I reckon it would have been over my budget too, Greg.
I prefer "unsigned" bits. Far more affordable.

(John's presence has now been noted   :hi: )

Wasn't there something about all the bits for the american market having to be signed? And perhaps if these all went over the pond, that might explain the scarcity on this side?

Certainly, most of the massive Rosenthal bottles I've encountered have been in the states. One of mine came from America. (back in the days when I could afford to get things shipped over and pay the tax as well as the bid price..... :cry:)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand