No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maria Stáhlíková vase  (Read 4167 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Maria Stáhlíková vase
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
Did I mention that I wanted one of these, too?
Found one! :smg:

Beautiful piece of glass...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
Interesting, attractive and highly sculptural... It's a super find, Michael. Congratulations!  :mrgreen:

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
Thanks, Anik! :sun:

It is highly sculptural indeed; and I love the idea of cutting a hotworked blank to an organic shape...

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
A great piece Michael, how tall is it please?

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks, Robert!
It is only 12 cm tall, but weighs a whopping 1.3 kg.

Do you think that my Stahlikova attribution is correct?

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
Stahlikova or Zemek are the main possibilities I think, unless we find an attributed picture of the Stahlikova piece. Zemek designed a similar piece of the same date in Raban Bohemian Glass, which is described in Czech Glass Review as being a Skrdlovice blank not Mstisov, Raban is more unreliable than CGR in some cases.....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
Thanks a lot, Robert!
The Zemek vase you mention is similar indeed, but I thought that he wouldn't use a Skrdlovice blank.
That is why I was leaning towards Stahlikova.

In my copy of the book "Böhmisches Glas Crystalex" (from the late 1970s I guess) is a coloured pic of the Zemek vase, in 2 coloured Sommerso blue and brown (if the colours are true); the text states "Frantisek Zemek, cut vase in coloured glass, 1957, Karlovarske sklo, branch Mstisov".

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
We need more evidence to be certain, in my opinion. In Czech Glass Review 1957 it seems to say Zemeks cut pieces were made at Skrdlovice and Karlovarske, just like Stahlikova. http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue19571002?authkey=Gv1sRgCO6Agp-G05izgQE#5513474437130951714 (The link is the caption page followed by the illustration page). Please correct me if my German translation is poor. Kotik designed cut pieces in these colours and we cannot be sure that, like Stahlikova, he sometimes sourced blanks from Skrdlovice given his special relationship with the factory and its role as a centre for experimental glassmaking, research and development centre, which he helped personally establish. Raban being very inaccurate in many captions (dated 63) and your source (1970's) are both further away in time than Czech Glass Review 1957 which I prefer to trust on this occasion until more evidence is forthcoming. This is just an opinion, but it is a fact that is a lovely rare Czech vase whether designed by Stahlikova, Zemek or Kotik,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
Thanks again, Robert -- it is a phantastic piece of Czech glass, isn't it?

Here is another link to CGR showing 2 cut vases by Stahlikova and Zemek, both claimed to be made of Skrdlovice blanks: http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue19588?authkey=Gv1sRgCIakrf3F_sXzLQ#5439620584443561458

In the CGR Stahlikova article is another cut vase in a similar shape to mine, while the 2 pieces on the previous page have the same colourway.
So I see that Zemek and Kotik are possible designers as well.

I guess there are no pattern books or catalogues for these cut pieces?

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand