No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Art Deco Sundae bowl - ID = Sowerby 1/2631  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Unknown Art Deco Sundae bowl - ID = Sowerby 1/2631
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:23:37 AM »
Hi all,  Purchased this bowl as I assumed it was made by Davidson Glass, but not too sure now.  It was the Chevron design that led me down that path.  I did not have time to check it thoroughly during my purchase, but it was not until I got it home, that I then became doubtful, Solely due to the applied coloured speckled glass area design on the outer part of the bowl.  I initially thought it was painted on. The dia. of the Sundae bowl, is 10.8cm.  Height 8.6cm and weighs 250g.  I am not sure whether part of the sundae bowl is pressed glass or not.  Within the base stand are a few air pockets.  It would be interesting to know how the speckled glass was applied.  Any help in identifying and period made would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unknown Art Deco Sundae bowl - Possibly Davidson?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
The speckled coating is applied by a method called Matthey Crinkles. A sticky "transfer" is applied to the cold glass, which is sprinkled with frit (powdered glass). It is then heated so that the frit fuses. It doesn't wear off. I think your bowl might be Sherdley Glass (but I could be wrong) or is it Sowerby. Frequently seen without the coating.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
The Sowerby ones I have in pink and in blue http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-109 only have one chevron not three of them, so it could be Sherdley, Christine... I've not seen the three chevron ones before.

Otis, see also here for more about the Sowerby ones: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31456.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
Hi all,  I have viewed the threads and compared mine and enclined to agree that it is Sowerby.  Hopefully someone will be able to confirm?  During my search I found some information regarding your comments Christine.  http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/main295.html.  The information I found interesting, as I was not aware prior to your info. on how the applied texture was carried out.

Having looked at your thread Anne.  There is very similarties to mine, mainly with regards to the overall shape of the sundae bowl.  What now concerns me and would be interesting to find out................ is the Chevrons, as yours shows one, were on mine there are three.  I have tried researching further to see if I can obtain any further info., but to be frank, I am not having much luck.  If this bowl is 'sherdley Glass, I am having great difficulty in finding a bowl similar.  Also would you date this bowl around the 1930's or later?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »
The crinkles were very much a thing of the 1950/60s, so no, not that old.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »
Thanks Christine, at least I can date it now as being vintage.  :thup:  During the time of my purchase having witnessed it only just being put out on display, I took the opportunity of asking the assistant to let me know if any more comes in.  To my surprise on Saturday morning, with excitement from the shop assistant, the lady was quick to inform me, having retained it in their storage, that they have some more. I thought my luck was in to get a set of six, but unfortunately she only had two. :thud:   Nevertheless, they are two  different colours and together look stunning on display.   I am still struggling to find any other that are the same within my research, as I would very much like to get a set of six that are all in different colours. What's my chances of that?  Which now leads me to think that these sundae bowls maybe a rarity or specially made/matthey crinkles textured,  on request.   Here is the picture of all three.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »
I really don't think they are rare.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:48 AM »
Thanks for your comments. If late 20th Century ::)..............................Surely I should be able to find some info. on the ones made with three chevrons. What do you think Christine?  I am  just not having much luck in finding even one the same and there does not appear to be any information on a lot of the  sites I have either been referred to or researched.  That leads me to my next question. Have you seen this type before and if so, do you have any leads?  
I really don't think they are rare
and Annes comment
Christine... I've not seen the three chevron ones before.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »
I'm sure I've seen them on fleamarkets, usually undecorated, but they don't interest me so I don't buy them. There are undecorated jugs as well. I suspect they were made for Woolworths by Sherdley (but do not take that as fact). The stuff you can find information about is the stuff people collect and have written about. Bargain-end (when it was new) stuff like this from the 1950s/60s is either still in Granny's cupboard or has simply been thrown away.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »
 ::) Oh dear! :o  The sheer workmanship that has gone into producing these only to be put in the bin....................................... :sick:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand