No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thoughts on these millefiori weights?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline mildawg

• Members
Thoughts on these millefiori weights?
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
As I am always trying to further my knowledge, I thought I would seek input on these weights.  I don't know that I have came across to many with this particular "look" to them.  Then again I have only been watching/learning about millefiori for a fairly short time.  Anyway, seller comments "that some believe Bohemian"

So what is everyones thoughts here, chinese or boehmian, is this still a an issue being debated in the paperweight world? and what might be a true value?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220958678316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Chinese-Concentric-Millefiori-Paperweight-/320851551351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab43e2477

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Thoughts on these millefiori weights?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
I vote nice old  Chinese , i am no paperweight expert but i have had several over the years , the shape is typical in my opinion .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:07:37 AM »
Definitely old Chinese - very nice samples too which I think reflects in the price.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
Thanks to both of you. So are these fairly uncommon and would you consider the $50-80 to be market value?  I pay fairly close attention to eBay weights and can't say I have seen these in the last year anyway. At least nothing of this quality.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:24 AM »

I have been collecting these 1930s Chinese low dome millefiori for 10 years or so - I have shown a few below. My feeling is that they are not common, but not very rare either. The canes can be very detailed and quite attractive in some of them. I don't think I have ever paid $90 for one, but I don't mind seeing them recognised as 'collectable', and the price going up! ;D

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
Thanks Alan, you have some nice weights there.  When I think early Chinese, I picture weights more in line with the ones at the ends of rows two an three which do not catch my eye much.  I see that type most often; the more intricate and muted colored ones not so much.  I can certainly see some of them going up in price and seem undervalued a little to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand