No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb "Lemonescent" vase  (Read 2430 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Webb "Lemonescent" vase
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:11:18 AM »
Hello all
I just HAD to share my newest find with this group.  I have a pair of Lemonescent marmalade bowls, but found a vase and just got it in the mail today.  Same process of vaseline opalescent outside, with an inner layer of cranberry.  This one also has the added benefit of vertical stripes on the cranberry layer.  As you can see by the blacklight photo, it glows really nice under a UV.  The base is clear, but on the underside, the outer layer of yellow glass can be seen buried under the clear ruffled foot.  
The vase is about 5 1/2" tall in sort of a jack in the pulpit style.  The back view shows a couple of small horizontal marks on the opalescent portion, but the marks are from a glassmaker's tool when the shaping was done, and dirt has filled in a little bit in the last 100 years.  The bottom row of photos (left and right sides) show the vase photographed in the sunlight, with the UV shot in the middle.  The top photo shows it next to my two lemonescent marmalades (one shiny, one satin finish).  
http://www.vaselineglass.org/lemonescenttrio.jpg

The vase is a keeper!!
Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Webb "Lemonescent" vase
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:32:24 AM »
Wow! Great vase! It's stunning. A great find, I love it! :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Webb "Lemonescent" vase
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »
Quote from: "mrvaselineglass"
the marks are from a glassmaker's tool when the shaping was done, and dirt has filled in a little bit in the last 100 years.

Dave, that vase is a real beauty!   :shock:   I'm certainly green with envy!   :lol:  :roll:

I have an old, soft toothbrush which I use to remove 100 years of dirt and dust from these sort of 'fiddly bits'.  Do you 'have a go' at your old vases, or leave them alone?
Leni

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
Webb "Lemonescent" vase
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
I just have not gotten around to cleaning it yet.  I just got it in the post yesterday and took the pictures.  I just now looked at it under a 5X loupe and it looks like cleaning with the toothbrush and a bit of rubbing alcohol might improve it a bit.  

Dave

Offline Leni

• Members
Webb "Lemonescent" vase
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 01:38:08 PM »
Quote from: "mrvaselineglass"
cleaning with the toothbrush and a bit of rubbing alcohol

Rubbing alcohol?  :shock:  :?   I just use standard washing-up liquid!  :shock:

Is rubbing alcohol better?  :?   Why?    :shock:
Leni

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
Webb "Lemonescent" vase
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 10:40:50 PM »
Leni
I use rubbing alcohol because it evaporates quicker and does a little better job of cleaning, dissolving crud, etc..  also good for when you clean out a perfume or decanter.  after washing, add some rubbing alcohol.  the alcohol absorbs the water residue, and then all of it evaporates (gotta leave the stopper off for a little while, though).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand