No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery vase-possibly Kosta Boda? I.D STUART STRATHEARN  (Read 1965 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Mystery vase-possibly Kosta Boda? I.D STUART STRATHEARN
« on: March 17, 2006, 06:51:37 AM »
Hi all,
recently got this nice vase in an op shop. It's modern, which normally "not my bag,baby", but it was so pretty & obviously a quality item, I had to get it.
It's about 15 cm tall, thick cased glass,very heavy. It has a clear inner lining & is cased in white, finely mottled with thin mauve threads & pink spatter towards the base. The rim is neatly ground & polished. It isn't marked in any way. It has a 1980s look to it, perhaps it's the colour scheme.It looks kind of Scandinavian to me, which why I was thinking Kosta Boda. I have a signed vase by them from the 70s, which has very similar white mottling & fine threads- it is by Bertil Vallein. Am I on the right track? Any thoughts would be most welcome! Thanks!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:55:28 AM »
Here are some close ups of the base of the vase & the mottled surface & spatter / threaded decoration.

Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
It is Stuart Strathearn, Impressions. I only have one example and the colours are different but the shape is close to SS001 here http://www.ysartglass.com/Strathearn/StrSS001.htm . This will be updated late this year to include the Impressions range as well as many others.

Stuart Strathearn were usually marked with their name but this mark can be extremely faint. The mark was sand-blasted using a stencil. However, my example has no mark.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:12:37 AM »
And it is designed by Iestyn Davies.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
Thanks Frank! Wow,totally different to what I thought! (I said modern glass wasn't really my thing! :oops: )
So it's Scottish! Boy was I wrong!
Looking at the photo on your site,it is definitely the same shape, & the polished rim looks identical.
It was $15, is that a bargain? I guess it was!
Thanks so much for your help with an I.D for it, now I can update it's entry in my catalogue.
 :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand