No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sarpaneva Iittala "I Series" Vase, or ...  (Read 3060 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Sarpaneva Iittala "I Series" Vase, or ...
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
I almost gave this unsigned vase away last month, but something told me it might be good.  I recently found examples on the net of what some people are claiming to be an "I Series" vase.  The strange thing is that the examples online tend to be more gently curved, less sharp edge at the widest point.  But the confirmed DECANTER in this series, by contrast, is sharp.  So my questions are is it even Iittala?  And if so, is it a Sarpaneva piece?  Vintage?  The color and base may provide clues.  The glass itself is what I'd say medium in thickness (not super thin, but not thick), and the execution is perfect.

Thanks,
Charles.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Sarpaneva Iittala "I Series" Vase, or ...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
Hi Charles,
I own a labeled Iittala vase in a similar (but not identical shape), in the "I series" blue colour. It is unsigned as well (my decanters are all signed).

To my surprise it is not in the big Iittala book, so I am very unsure if it is a vintage piece by Sarpaneva or a more recent design in the style of...
Sorry, no pics atm, will try to take some tomorrow!

Michael

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »
I don't think this is a Sarpaneva piece.  Wrong shape and color, I think.  Could be wrong, but I don't find it in my books.

Rob

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
Hi Charles,
I managed to take a pic of my Iittala mystery vase :)

Height is 23.5 cm, colour would match the i-series blue (sort of "dull blue"), lots of wear to the base...
As mentioned above I couldn't find it in the Iittala book, nor on the designlasi website or on laatutavara.com, and have no idea if it is older or quite recent.

Michael

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the picture, Rocco. That NAILS the attribution just about as firmly as one can.  You're absolutely correct the shape isn't quite the same, but technique of rim but especially base makes it clear mine is an Iittala piece as well that has lost its sticker.  It would be so nice to know designer and vintage, but confirms my judgment in hanging on to the piece.

Thanks,
Charles.

Offline Timosarp1926

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »
A bit late to the discussion but I found the example in blue last year and even the usually helpful Iittala Museum wasn't able to come up with the designer or pattern. :'(

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, Jeff -- very interesting that even the Iittala Museum wasn't able to ID this one.

Just a thought to Charles' last post: as the shapes don't match I would think the case is still open for the green vase...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand