No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Warning, Most dangerous Paperweight i've ever seen Caithness Starburst  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Just thought i'd share this Warning to the board !!!
Taking a few photos in the sun for ebay, with this faceted Caithness Paperweight, I could smell smoke,
just like a magnifying glass, almost in any position in the sunshine, it was focusing the light to the point of fire !!!

Scared to sell it now, will have to put a Big warning on the listing !!

Something for Glass Collectors, New and Old to be very careful of, although its the first time i've come across such a dangerous piece of glass!

:sun: :sun:

Be Careful out there!!
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Caithness weights come with a warning label about that these days.
You're not the first though, to have this problem - Allister Malcolm burnt Max's drawers!

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2845.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
lol! Beat me to it Sue!   :clap: :thup: ;D
I am not a man

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Please also see the following link to a recent Paperweights post by Otis and the response by Alan ("tropdevin").
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45989.msg259845.html#msg259845

Otis provides a link to a newspaper article which is similar to others that have been reported in the past. Alan's comment with respect to shape and the related focal point is very relevant, as is his warning about other effects of the sun on glass paperweights.

But it's not just paperweights that could produce a sharp focus of sunlight. A knopped stem of a drinking glass may be just as good at focussing the sun's rays. And also a clear glass body of an animal figurine might in some cases have the same affect.

The display in sunlight of any clear glass item with an appropriately shaped solid section should be considered carefully.
KevinH

Offline Andy

• Members
Ive always been aware of the risk, this ones just so quick, Winter Sunshine as well !
Might try and get a video later, and pop it on youtube.

Ive mentioned it , in the ebay listing, and I'm hoping a couple of budding Arsonists have a bidding war for it !  >:D >:D  :24: :X:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline tootingpf

• Members
It's the winter sun that is the worst!  It reaches places you wouldn't expect.

I have a Baccarat crystal ball (about as good a lens as you could hope to find....) which used to be in a wooden cabinet that I was convinced was out of the reach of the sun.  One winter's day I noticed the smoke...

Not only had the crystal ball scorched the cabinet, it had acted as a perfect sun-recorder. There was a trail of scorch marks - including breaks where the sun had gone in.  The crystal ball is now tucked well out of the way...

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Wow! that is shocking.  "I see the light, I see the burn........  that surely does make my stomach turn".  I just can't see how a small unreadable label stuck onto a paperweight or printed on a box is going to prevent tragedy from occurring.  I  think more should be done.  Far more better awareness than what they do for the tobbaco users as more lives could be at potential risk!  An advert on the TV would be a good starting point, don't you think?

Glass Paperweights are very attractive by all age groups and can you imagine a person just buying one and taking it home only to remove alllllllllll contents so that it can be nicely displayed in natural light.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
You are right Otis,  the label only says  'Do not leave in direct sunlight'.  and someone on this board  thought it might be because the glass colours would fade, a very plausible thought.

The label doesn't say WHY it should not be left  in sunlight, or even that it can be dangerous, and if you see the damage done to our windowsills in the link I gave above,  you can see,  that had we been out for the day....the house could well have been totally destroyed.

Good advice is never a waste of time,  is it?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
I emphatically agree Rosie, more needs to be done.  How about this for as a simple but effective kick start on highlighting better awareness..........................................WARNING! "Implimentation prevents intervention from the firestation, 'Ensure your glass paperweight is kept out of direct sunlight........ AT ALL TIMES".' ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand