No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another pices of Walsh I think.....  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Another pices of Walsh I think.....
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »
Slight attack of envy here Dave   ...

Slight?   I'm suffering from good old-fashioned rock solid jealousy, seeing Walsh I just dream of.   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:56 AM »
Another piece of OPALINE BROCADE was added to the collection this weekend.  This is an oil or cruet.  No evidence in the neck of it ever having a stopper. I also know of one other just like this that is in a Florida (USA) collection.

Dave Peterson

http://www.vaselineglass.org/jwwoil.jpg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
What size is it please Dave?  It's incredibly pretty especially in that shape.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
Where did you buy it from Dave? My suspicious little mind says that's very "organic" for Victorian table ware; it's OK for a decorative item. My thoughts were perhaps it was a Bohemian lookalike or maybe it was just for the US market.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
Christine:  I bought it at a big (2x a year) antique show and the dealers got it at an estate sale.  It is an old piece and there is no doubt in my mind that it is an original John Walsh Walsh piece of Opaline Brocade.  It most likely is a decorative piece.  A lot of the John Walsh Walsh pieces in this pattern are for decoration only.  I asked a friend about it (who collects a lot of this pattern and owns that tall vase that has the cranberry rim and metal base), and he sent back to me a picture of the one he owns.  I guess 'decorative ewer vase' is a more accurate description.  My piece shows considerable honest wear on the underside of the piece. 

Dave

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
I wasn't doubting that it was old. It was the use that threw me.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
While a lot of OPALINE BROCADE has made it's way to the USA, due to collectors like me, I have never heard of it being exported here from point of manufacture (but it could have happened).  Northwood started reproducing this pattern 14 months after JWW first announced the pattern, and Northwood would have been able to sell it cheaper in the US than JWW could have sold it with the cost of a boat ride included. Northwood's shapes are well documented with original catalog illustrations, and this is not a Northwood shape.  I also have not heard of any pieces being suspected as Bohemian in origin.  I have handled quite a bit of JWW OPALINE BROCADE, and this is consistent with other pieces I have handled.  It may have been a decorative flower arranger piece, too.

Dave

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
Dave — Many of Eric Reynolds' finest pieces were obtained from the US, including, I understand, the huge Opaline Brocade vase on the front cover of his book.   My conclusion is that Walsh and their agents successfully brought a realistic and aggressive marketing style to their US operations, accepting occasional plagiarism as inevitable, and countering it with a stream of innovative designs and products, sometimes specifically tailored to suit the US market, like your ewer/vase.

14 months is plenty of time to establish a product range, and I'm sure Walsh's agents were ordering it from Birmingham long after the Northwood range emerged.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand