No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moser Karlsbad "Alexandrit" Optic/Ribbed Compote  (Read 1770 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Moser Karlsbad "Alexandrit" Optic/Ribbed Compote
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
I recently was lucky enough to find this exquisite piece of alexandrite glass, and cannot find good information on the net or in my limited library.  It's signed "Moser Karlsbad Alexandrit."  It measures 20.5 cm (8 1/4").  Would this be from the Art Nouveau or Art Deco period, what is its approximate age and is there a name for the particular line in which it was produced?  Any info would be appreciated.

Charles.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Moser Karlsbad "Alexandrit" Optic/Ribbed Compote
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »
The Moser Karlsbad mark is 1911-1938. It was in use beforehand but not registered until 1911. The Alexandrit mark is 1929 to date. So that makes your lovely compote 1929-1938

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Moser Karlsbad "Alexandrit" Optic/Ribbed Compote
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »
Which makes it 'Art Deco Period' but not really Art Deco style

Moser liked to follow other country's artistic movements -such as art deco- but they mostly 'moved' in their own way. As far as I can tell these pieces were designed to best show off the newly developed 'Alexandrit' and similar colours.

a great piece!

Mike 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand