No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: antique[ irish] cork glass  (Read 4878 times)

Offline classinaglass

• Members
antique[ irish] cork glass
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
hi,any info at all pls,rareity,price,collectors,

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: antique[ irish] cork glass
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
Isnt that early Waterford ?

Offline classinaglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »
hi,it has a faint lozenge & can see the words cork,very uneven stem,pattern[fish pattern???]little oval/circle glass droplets,can email pics

Offline classinaglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
hi john,dnt think its waterford,i think its def the cork glass co ,would this be sought after?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
Some of us may not understand the history of the early Irish cut glass factories, so if I may add just a little which might (or not) help those of us interested in glass from that region..........
It would appear that the 'The Cork Glass Company' ceased in 1818, and was the only Irish factory which used the words 'Cork Glass Co.' - often in relief letters on the base of some products.      Other factories operating in Cork during the first half of the C19 were 'Waterloo Glass House Company' and 'Terrace Glass Works'.     However, no doubt  the lifespan and output etc. of Waterford  far exceeded that of the more brief lives of the Cork factories, and so may give rise to the thought that pieces  -  unmarked ones  -   are more likely to be Waterford rather than Cork.      Apparently, patterns and designs were copied often, making unmarked pieces very difficult to attribute, unless they carried trade marks such as............ Penrose Waterford  -  Cork Glass Co.  -  Waterloo Co Cork  -  B. Edwards Belfast.
I assume the suggestion here is that the words are contained within a lozenge, although am I missing the point of where the marks are -underside of the foot?

If this piece has genuine provenance/mark from the Cork Glass Company, then I'd have thought it was of real interest - although values are not something we'd dscuss here for reasons explained before.    Nonetheless, I'd very much like to own this.   

I don't fully understand the description of the stem cutting  -  but assume some sort of fish scale cutting is being described  -  we would need to see a good clear picture before agreeing...........there are a variety of stem cutting patterns known to exist  -  some of which were being applied to drinking glasses as early as c.1760.

Sorry to all for being long winded  -  I'd love to be able to reduce all this to one a and half sentences like wot others manage - but since I'm not clever like others..........

Anyway, waiting to see pictures please. :)

Ref.    'English & Irish Cut Glass 1750 - 1950'   -  E. M. Elville  -  Country Life (1953).

Offline classinaglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
hi,E.M.elville,tyvm for your interest will put pics on today

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
sorry to say it but I'm not Elville .......I'm Paul S..........apologies if the Ref. was less than clear.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
We could be more helpful if you attach pictures see here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
and didn't write in text speak please

Offline classinaglass

• Members
irish cork glass
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
hi paul, it does have cork glass in letters on the base

Offline classinaglass

• Members
irish cork glass
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »
sorry about picture quality will put more on later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk