No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent Studio Art Drinking Glasses, Don Cox 1984 S.P.L ? - ID = Siddy Langley  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
3 Nicely made signed Studio Glasses. Don Cox Xmas 1984. S.P.L
I've drawn a blank, which surprised me.
Maybe a glass blower  , working at someones studio ? Does S.P.L. ring any bells with anyone?
Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline ahremck

• Members
I think the maker is SPL and it was a gift to Don Cox perhaps.  A way out suggestion is thee SPL = Siddy P. Langley.  Maybe a a email would confirm or deny the possibility?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Andy

• Members
Ross,
Brilliant ! I am sure you are spot on! The glasses look familiar to me, Ive seen Siddys exhibitions and much of her work,
Ive got a couple of pieces, the writing, and size is the same.
I will drop her a line, i hope she wont be upset that something maybe she made for a gift, ended up in a Charity shop !

Best Wishes,
and my sincere condolences for your sad loss, the Swan was beautiful,
Andy

Offline Greg.

• Members
Andy, interesting glasses/goblets. The handful of Siddy pieces that I have seen usually have her name signed in full, however, it could well be different, especially as these were intended as a gift.  Looking at some of the pieces of Siddys work contained in the footage in the below link, the iridescence and colours do seem to draw a resemblance to your glasses/goblets.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe9k7c_siddy-langley-glass-at-b-w-thornton_shortfilms

Offline Andy

• Members
Thanks Greg, similar pieces there.
I,m certain Ross is right, I've had a few pieces, and seen quite a lot of her work, sometimes she has had other artists working
with her, who sign with their name , and add Siddy Langley Studio, I've asked whether Don Cox worked for her or did she make them
for a gift. I'm a bit worried they may have been a personal thing, with the hearts on them !

I'm sure she will reply.
Cheers
Andy

Offline Andy

• Members
Just got a nice email from Siddy Langley, they are made by her ! Many thanks Ross  ;)
Siddy said she has no idea who Don Cox was, she hardly made any iridescent goblets, but its
definitely her work and writing. She thinks it was a commission, and thats what they asked for.
I suggested, maybe Mr Cox wanted to pretend to a girlfriend that he made them ! Who knows ?
She also only rarely signed her name , S.P.L.

Maybe this could be transferred to British Glass with a definite ID of Siddy Langley.

Thanks again Ross, although i should have worked this out for myself  ::)
Cheers
Andy

Offline ahremck

• Members
A somewhat inspired guess, Andy.  I had been looking at an iridescent vase of hers mon Ebay but could find anything on Google to verify the P in SPL.  Lucky you and unusual and fairly early pieces - fully verified.  Enjoy  :)   :)  :)  :)

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand