No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Liskeard vase-common as?  (Read 3678 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Liskeard vase-common as?
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
Greetings from a still picture perfect Napier.
 Recently purchased this lovely Liskeard vase and was wondering if it was made in any great amount and what other colours might I aspire to? Apologies for the shaky base picture- standard mark I would imagine- my first piece of Liskeard.
regards Carolglass
Carolglass

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Liskeard vase-common as?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »
I've had the dark purply amethyst before....and there's also a clear glass one on ebay. 

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:02:06 AM »
I have them in your blue, also in clear.     I get the impression Liskeard is not a heavily collected factory (no doubt having made that comment I shall now be jumped on by a million collectors).     I see the odd knobblies, but not that many, and don't recall having seen more than perhaps two in charity shops.    Very good as paperweights, I should think ;)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »
Blue? I have only ever seen these 'dimpled' vases and bowls in green (like this one), purple, turquoise and clear. The vases come in at least three shapes, the bowls can vary in size. A really good design with wonderful optical effects.

Photos of a bowl and the three shapes of vase towards the start of this album: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/MiscellaneousGlass

John

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
Many many thanks for the replies. John in  Millers 20C Glass (Andy McConnell) page 178 there is a blue vase in 'my' shape, a taller one with a pulled lip in the green and a duplicate of your bowl.  Paul these beasties would weigh down a lot of paper, mine packs a lot of weight into 13cm high and a gross width of 9 cm. Picked it up for very little as the trader thought that there was a crack in the clear casing- took a punt and when I received it and had a really good look- an very slender elongated bubble and in pristine condition with only the slightest hint of wear to the base! I must take a look at the clear one on ebay Max, just for comparison.
Wet now and I have a cold- lots of tea today I think. Regards and thanks Carol
Carolglass

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
That is the turquoise Carol, I found it was the hardest colour to find when I was buying them. The photo in the book is not the best represenatation of the colour, never seen one in blue. Here is a photo of the three colours: http://notsogranddesigns.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/p1020450.jpg

Perhaps it is as much blue as turquoise.....

I have occasionally seen some much plainer vases with the LG mark, easier to find are some 'fried egg' like bowls both round and heart shaped. The central raised 'yolk' section can be in a variety of colours. The following two are green and white mottled and purple mottled.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
John is correct, of course.......... the colour to which I was referring is NOT blue  -  I was rushing the description a bit too much ;)    However, neither is it green.   So turquoise it is then ...................and enunciated as 'terkwaas', never terkwoyse ;)
All a bit confusing, really, since if you think of the semi-precious stone of the same name - then as we know, that colour is a very blue sort of blue.  ;D

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
OK then blue off the list and turquoise on it- Thank you for the clarification John- always a good thing when identifying glass.
Now pouring with rain- regards Carol  ;D
Carolglass

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »
Not sky, royal or cobalt blue but it is quite blue...greeny blue?

Where is that pesky devil emoticon when you need it?

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
Here is a Liskeard bowl I bought today, the mark to base is not that bright but still LG - also my first piece of Liskeard, saw it liked it so bought it.

Adam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand