No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: OE1, OE2 or ???  (Read 4324 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: OE1, OE2 or ???
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »

There are better and more polite ways to say things than to refer to 'alleged private conversations' when you are talking from a position of total ignorance about my friendship with Bob Hall. Mind you, total ignorance of a topic is not known for stopping people talking about it.  Regarding Bob being a published professional, he has certainly had books published, and was a professional in respect of running his own heating business - but I don't quite see the relevance of the latter.  I think my professional academic qualifications and experience are somewhat more pertinent to rigorous and careful research.

As for lack of confirmed sourcing, if you bother to read my article about Gillinder in the PCA Bulletin you will find all the references, even to the specific records in the UK National Archives. You never know - you might even learn something.  And to find the repeated images in Bob Hall's Bacchus chapter, don't take my word for it...just have alook at the book.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
As far as I know Alan counts in the published and respected category.

That aside - this particular paperweight seems be have been repolished at some time if the base is anything to go by?

The canes are certainly in the style of OE, it's well set and the colors are typical.

I don't think it's a Gillinder weight, the Gillinder weights I have seen (mostly seen in pictures) have a "lighter" look to the canes.
There is one mentioned here that I'm confident enough calling Gillinder.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19298.msg117421.html#msg117421
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline raj

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:28:51 AM »
Thanks Alan for your insights on the available reference books for OE pwts; are back issues of PCA publications available, perhaps digitally?

Yes Alexander, I had the paperweight restored, the scratches on the top were quite extensive and made the dome cloudy in appearance. The photo of your pwt is what I think of as typical Gillinder canes, which are clear/hollow in the center, most of mine aren't; so probably, as you stated, not Gillinder.

Since my earlier post, I've been reviewing Bob Halls' book, and think I have found 2 (!) possible matches for the center cane in my pwt - would love to hear comments back if you agree...or I need to have my eyeglass prescription updated  ;D
I think the possible matches are a) pg. 174, bottom left, cane is repeated in several areas, most prominent view is first row, 3 o'clock position and b) pg. 180, bottom left, canes in the second ring.
I've reattached photo of center cane in my pwt. -raj

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
Hi Raj

The canes certainly look very similar to me too, and could be identical.  As for who made the paperweights that contain the cane, you will note that Bob has included them in the ‘Unknown Makers’ chapter.  He does note the similarities to Bacchus, but that whole area of similarity of canes is a complex area that needs careful and detailed study. No one has done that in sufficient detail yet as far as I know.

Some years ago, after I bought the large Old English paperweight shown below, I showed it to Bob Hall -  who said he felt sure it was ‘an early Bacchus’. You will see it has the same large cross canes as the one you mention on page 174 of his book.  A few years later, when I began to research Old English paperweights, and measure their densities, it became clear it was most unlikely to be a Bacchus product (the glass had far too high a proportion of lead):  but it was quite likely to be a Richardson piece - the glass was the same density. Also, the white/red cross cane near the edge is typical of Richardson.  That does not rule out a different unknown maker who used around 32% lead, of course.

Regarding PCA publications, I think you would need to approach them direct via their website. You do see the Bulletins offered for sale from time to time on eBay.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand