No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: handblown small Romer /Roemer handtrailed,notched trail,raspberry prunts - help  (Read 4625 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Can anyone help with this please?  I have not a clue.  It's quite lightweight, handblown, hand applied spiral trail for the foot which is hollow up to the stem, hand applied notched trail around the 'neck' and has random ish raspberry prunts on the stem.  The bowl is shorter than a hock glass bowl and wider.  Pretty thing measuring 9cm tall, bowl about 7.5cm widest and the hollow foot is 5.6cm diameter at the base. The rim is cut bevelled both sides and polished.  It's rather beautifully made.
I have seen similar id'd as Koln Ehrenfeld however I'm curious about reproductions?
Thanks for looking and any help much appreciated.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I think this is an older piece, I don't think it is recent.  It looks very similar to a romer called a Thusnelda romer from Koeln Ehrenfeld, except that the notched trail around the neck of mine is similar to a decorative device used by Theresienthal.  On the Koeln Ehrenfeld Thusnelda romer, instead of the notched trail it has a waved rigaree around the neck.  Does anyone know if they also used a notched trail - or is that something peculiar to Theresienthal?
By the way, the bowl is hollow all the way down the stem to where it joins the trailed foot.
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I have seen a catalogue page from Altmann in Munich circa 1880 where replcations of each and evry variant of these were listed. Producd in northern Bavaria or in Cologne Ehrenfeld and  who knows where else. Modern replicas made at Kralovice Hut or by Bon in Murano are most convincing and not always signed - and there is also a small glassworks in Sweden doing similar work. But the most likely is Theresinthhal who have been producing this type of rummers for the longest time and the max number of variants.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Ivo.  It's difficult isn't it. It 'feels' old but I know that some reproductions (recent) are incredibly good.  I realise you mean late 19th is also reproduction of much earlier glass. 
It seems that Theresienthal used this particular handtrailed notched device if what I read is true.

There is a lovely site called Steveonsteins as well as Stepan's fantastic Theresienthal site, both of which I somehow seem to refer to a lot as they have great enamelled glass on as well.  I'll keep searching the Theresienthal reference for now but have a look at your other suggestions as well - thanks :)
links for others future reference -
http://www.steveonsteins.com/
http://www.roemer-aus-theresienthal.de/index.html

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Are you sure the trail is hand-applied or even a trail? It looks very even. Machine applied or moulded spring to mind. What is the foot rim like?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well as far as I can see it is all handblown and handtrailed, definitely not mould blown at all. It's very finely made, delicate.  But that is no different to the hock glasses I have which are Koln Ehrenfeld, they are also beautifully made.
The spiral for the notched trail is also hand applied and you can see where both trails start and end, the spiral trail peters out at the base of the foot.  The foot rim is fine, thin and delicate.  the bowl of the glass is hollow all the way down and the spiral foot is applied to the bowl where it narrows at the bottom of the stem.  It's a two piece glass.I will add some more pics once I have uploaded them.
thanks for looking  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
more pics (see post above as well :) )

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
last one
romer base/foot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I still think it's machine threaded; machine threading has been around since 1870 when Hodgetts patented it. Hand threading has wider, less even spacing and less even threads.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
mm your comments posed an interesting question for me.  This is not trailed 'onto' anything, the foot is completely made from a tapering 'coil' or 'spiral' of wound glass, i.e the inside of the foot is ribbed as is the outside as it is a bit like if you rolled plastercine into a long sausage and then wound it round and round getting wider and wider as it were.
I think it is hand done still  :P
But ....I am open to correction  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand