No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Teal & Gold ribbed duck, hollow - possible Murano / Gambaro?  (Read 5988 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Teal & Gold ribbed duck, hollow
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »
Here are another two that are in the same style,  but this time a scavo....I think that's how the finish id described.....they are lovely, but were withdrawn from sale....just as well,  I couldn't have afforded them.....saved me seeing them outbid me!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370582490918
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »
Now that I've seen a few of them they are quite distinguishable as Gambaro (or Gambaro & Poggi).  I'm wondering why some are hollow - maybe just to cut down on weight/save glass?  So glad I got my answer - thanks GMB!
Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Many apparently solid birds and animals are hollow when you look carefully. You couldn't create the ribs very well otherwise in this case. The question is more why is the end open.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
I am scratching my head at the eBay auction. Who is Luciano Gambaro? I know of Mario Gambaro. I'll have to check on Luciano. Can anyone make out the signature on the duck? To me it looks like scribble.

wolkenreb, your duck does look a lot like Gambaro & Poggi's duck except that yours is hollow and ribbed. Rosie knows a lot more about this style duck than I do, so she may be more help. Another company, Campanella, makes a similar style duck.

I was just checking out the G&P website.  The biography was written by Luciano Gambaro, son of Mario Gambaro (who is still the maker, not Luciano).
Nancy

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
If you turn the signature upside down and tweak the contrast, etc. it indeed says "Gambaro & Poggi Murano"

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
That answers the question about Luciano, Nancy. I had wondered if a son was involved in the glassmaking, particularly because I couldn't read the upside down signature. I thought that may be where the Luciano came from. At least we know the seller checked the site and came up with a name, even if it was the wrong name for the famous glassmaker.

There are some good videos on the G&P site. I love to watch them make glass. I particularly like the fish video.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
Yes, well done to Ross for thinking to turn the signature the right way up!  I must check out those videos Anita.

I guess maybe the only question left is, as Christine said, why are the ends open?  Whatever the reason, it's still a fine looking bird (in my opinion!).
Nancy

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Teal & Gold ribbed duck, hollow - possible Murano / Gambaro?
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
Silly question why are the ends open , (so they can go for a quack ) , i believe every living thing on this planet has an open end , dont you ?  :o  i used to be a genius but then i got smart .  ;D  it also helps with the stuffing .

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
Ummm . . . polite cough - yes, of course . . .

(Where are the men in white coats when you need them?!)
Nancy

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
 ::) Oh dear, will he ever learn Nancy?

Here is another one...Josordorni is selling it...similar colour to yours,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Murano-Sommerso-Green-Crystal-Hollow-Duck-/390395121905
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand